Vineet S
Vineet S,
Experience:  Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed
60556257

I have received an email in regards to getting back my

Customer Question

Hi, I have received an email in regards ***** ***** back my deposit from my landlord which I have had rented room from la during last academic year
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: they have charged me £50 for cleaning services when I have left my flat clean before moving out. I do not have any proof of it for example photographs. What can I do to get my full deposit back? I will be thankful for any help.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have contacted mydeposits.co.uk by phone and asked what can I do to solve my problem. They have told me to contact somebody through the tenants.com website and here I am.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: My landlord and room in flat I was renting was in Leicester, England. Rent was for the academic year 2020/2021. I'm student at the University.
Expert:  Vineet S replied 14 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, I am a solicitor in England and Wales and I will be dealing with your case today.

Kindly note, I am not available for phone calls at the moment, however I can easily assist you via this online chat.

I will go through your question and will get back to you with my answer shortly.

Meanwhile, please ignore any phone call request pop-up, they get generated automatically without any input from the expert, so I have no control over these requests.

Expert:  Vineet S replied 14 days ago.

Hi there ,

Could you please confirm if check-in inventory and at the time of termination of your tenancy has been recorded and agreed?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Do you mean the inventory of the room and flat in overall like kitchen supplies etc.?
Expert:  Vineet S replied 14 days ago.

Your rented room, for which you have been charged for cleaning?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I would prefer to text via this chat
Expert:  Vineet S replied 14 days ago.

Please ignore any phone call request pop-up, they get generated automatically without any input from the expert, so I have no control over these requests.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I have cleaned room before leaving it, I have no proof of that in form of photographs nor receipt of professional service performed on my behalf. Is there any way I can get my full deposit back from my landlord?
Expert:  Vineet S replied 14 days ago.

A certain amount of wear and tear is unavoidable in rental properties. Over time as tenants live in homes, some damage will occur. This isn’t a result of abuse or neglect by the tenants, meaning tenants can’t be held responsible for it.

At the end of the tenancy, tenants have to give the property more or less in a similar condition that they take at the start of the tenancy.

Having a detailed and accurate inventory in place can be a big help when it comes to avoiding disputes over damage/state of the property between tenants and landlords.

Tenants are expected to hand back the property in a similar condition as recorded in the inventory at the start of the tenancy.

Landlord can charge the tenant for professionally cleaning only, if the house is not left clean or if the professional cleaning charges is agreed in the tenancy agreement