ReadyLaw
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
104128041

I have received an email in regards to getting back my

Customer Question

I have received an email in regards ***** ***** back my deposit from my landlord which I have had rented room from la during last academic year. They have charged me £50 for cleaning services when I have left my flat clean before moving out. I do not have any proof of it for example photographs. What can I do to get my full deposit back? I will be thankful for any help. I have contacted mydeposits.co.uk by phone and asked what can I do to solve my problem. They have told me to contact somebody through the tenants.com website and here I am. My landlord and room in flat I was renting was in Leicester, England. Rent was for the academic year 2020/2021. I'm student at the University.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: It is in Leicester, UK Leicestershire
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: What does that mean specifically?
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 20 days ago.

Hi, welcome to JA, I amCustomerone of legal experts here. My goal is to provide you with the best experience possible and answer any questions which you may have about your current situation. I may not respond immediately, this is because I may need a few minutes to read what you shared above, type and respond to you. Feel free to ask any follow up questions as needed until you are satisfied.

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 20 days ago.

Thanks for your patience and enquiry.

You would first have to check whether any provision is included in your tenancy agreement which allows your landlord to withhold portions of your deposit towards cleaning service. I must be candid with you in saying that it is not unusual and is permitted legally for a landlord to retain portions of your deposit to go towards cleaning. In order to prove that there was no requirement for this, you would have to show that the property was left in the same level on cleanliness within which it was received. So, for example, you could have a picture show how the property was whilst their and how you left it. Save this, it would be very difficult for you to challenge these claims by the landlord.

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 20 days ago.

Can I clarify anything for you? I hope I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.