ReadyLaw
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
104128041

My landlords are ignoring my request to get the shower mixer

Customer Question

My landlords are ignoring my request to get the shower mixer fixed. I have to shower in extremely hot water and this has been the case since I moved in.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: London
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: the landlord will maintain any contents listed in the inventory. the landlord will keep in repair and proper working order the installations in the property for the supply of water etc and for water heating.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: When I first brought up the issue I texted the landlords and they ignored the message. The next day I brought it up again as I wanted a response, and they responded very badly, saying that I should not be reminding them of anything and that the flat is still liveable so this is not urgent and they will get it done when they can. I waited more than a month and then reminded them, and it has now been over a week with no response.
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 14 days ago.

Hi, welcome to JA, I amCustomerone of legal experts here. My goal is to provide you with the best experience possible and answer any questions which you may have about your current situation. I may not respond immediately, this is because I may need a few minutes to read what you shared above, type and respond to you. Feel free to ask any follow up questions as needed until you are satisfied.

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 13 days ago.

Let me start by apologising for the delayed response. It was an error on my part for which I am sorry.

This would be something that your landlord would be required to fix both in terms of your written contract as well as an implied term in lease agreements for the property to be habitable.

This is an urgent requirement for it to be fixed as most certainly bathing in extremely hot water cannot be safe.

What to do?

I recommend following the below steps in the link in terms of bringing the matter to the landlords attention. Please note the steps that can be taken after having brought the matter to the landlords attention and they fail to do anything. This includes fixing it yourslf and deducting the cost of doing so from your rent or raking legal action against the landlord for them to honour the terms of the agreement.

https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/repairs/how_to_report_repairs_to_a_private_landlord

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 13 days ago.

Can I clarify anything for you? I hope I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.