How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jeremy Aldermartin Your Own Question
Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 9569
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jeremy Aldermartin is online now

My sons student finance has just been declined due to him

Customer Question

My sons student finance has just been declined due to him not living in the uk at an address for 3 years. He currently holds indefinite leave to remain in the Uk and was issued his biometric card last year. I am his mother a British passport holder I have been resident in the uk. My son was attending school in South Africa and returned after completing high school May 2020. His finance has been declined due to not living here for 3 years? Is there anything we can do?
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Oxford brooks
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: none , I would like advise on what to do next
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Law
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Is someone contacting me
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
How long does this normally take ?
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 14 days ago.

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 13 days ago.

Hi thank you for your message, please note that I will look to provide an accurate but nevertheless speedy reply to your inquiry. I am sorry to hear about your situation but I will endeavour to help you today.

Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 13 days ago.

No I am afraid there is nothing that can be done, the rules are clear to be eligible for home student status and therefore student finance the student i.e. your son would need to have been habitually resident in the UK for the 3 years prior to the September in which their course is due to start i.e. your son would need to have been resident in the UK since September 2018 at the latest. I trust this assists