Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

My sons student finance has just been declined due to him

Customer Question

My sons student finance has just been declined due to him not living in the uk at an address for 3 years. He currently holds indefinite leave to remain in the Uk and was issued his biometric card last year. I am his mother a British passport holder I have been resident in the uk. My son was attending school in South Africa and returned after completing high school May 2020. His finance has been declined due to not living here for 3 years? Is there anything we can do?
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Oxford brooks
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: none , I would like advise on what to do next
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Is someone contacting me
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
How long does this normally take ?
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 14 days ago.

Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 13 days ago.

Hi thank you for your message, please note that I will look to provide an accurate but nevertheless speedy reply to your inquiry. I am sorry to hear about your situation but I will endeavour to help you today.

No I am afraid there is nothing that can be done, the rules are clear to be eligible for home student status and therefore student finance the student i.e. your son would need to have been habitually resident in the UK for the 3 years prior to the September in which their course is due to start i.e. your son would need to have been resident in the UK since September 2018 at the latest. I trust this assists