Anthony Chendo
Anthony Chendo,
Experience:  Solicitor at BLM
106282438

I undertook work in 2019 which I submitted invoices for as

Customer Question

I undertook work in 2019 which I submitted invoices for as part of the contract - most of the invoices haven't been paid.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Manchester
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Lots of emails and texts to the Director. Part of the outstanding amount owed was made in 2020. I left it a bit longer due to covid. I sent a further email a couple of weeks ago which he replied to and asked me to give him a couple of days to see what he can do. Since then, despite a further email from me, I have heard nothing.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I had a contract which outlines the payment schedule which we both signed. The invoices submitted amounted to £2100 of which £900 was paid in 2020.
Expert:  Anthony Chendo replied 14 days ago.

Welcome to JA.

I am sorry to hear about your situation.

Please note that this is not a chat service therefore you may experience delays.

Is it the case you wish to know how to recover the outstanding amount owed to you

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I want to rever the outstanding fees for the work I carried out in good faith and how best to go about this.
Expert:  Anthony Chendo replied 13 days ago.

I suggest sending a letter before action which outlines reasons why you are owed the amount in question and failure to pay within a set deadline will result in court action.

Please see below a template letter format that can be amended to suit your position.

insert name and address)                                                                                                             (insert date)

LETTER BEFORE ACTION

Dear Sirs,

Re: Claim for (insert sum)

I refer to the above matter and to the above sum.

[Then explain why they owe you the amount in question].

I note that, notwithstanding my requests for payment of £[insert amount], in respect of [amount of the debt], I have yet to receive payment. In the circumstances, I am no longer prepared to leave this matter in abeyance and, unless payment of the sum is received within [insert reasonable period of time, eg 14 days] of the date of this letter, I  will  commence proceedings without further notice.

This letter is being sent to you in accordance with the Pre-Action Protocol for debt claims (“the Protocol”) contained within the Civil Procedure Rules (“CPR”). In particular, I refer you to paragraph 7 of the Protocol, and paragraphs 13 to 16 of the Practice Direction on Pre-Action Conduct and Protocols regarding the Court’s powers to impose sanctions for failing to comply with the provisions of the Protocol.

I therefore put you on notice of my intention to issue county court proceedings against your company for my losses should I not receive payment in full by 4 pm on (insert deadline date ). Should court proceedings be necessary I will claim the court issue fee and statutory interest. Should I succeed in obtaining a judgment, same will be transferred to the High Court for enforcement against you and your company whereby further costs will be added to the judgment sum.

I trust the above will not be necessary and I therefore look forward to hearing from you as a matter of urgency.

Yours sincerely,

(insert name)

Assuming the letter does not produce the desired result i suggest you return to JA and we can assist you with the next steps which may be court action that you have put the firm on notice about.

I hope i have clarified the position.

Thanks and stay safe.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify the answer given.

Thanks and stay safe

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you for the draft letter. Fortunately, I actually received a response from the company yesterday and we have agreed a way forward. I therefore no longer need to continue with this issue and would like to close the enquiry.Thank you again,
Expert:  Anthony Chendo replied 11 days ago.

Ok thanks