How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anthony Chendo Your Own Question
Anthony Chendo
Anthony Chendo,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3015
Experience:  Solicitor at BLM
Type Your Law Question Here...
Anthony Chendo is online now

I had my car smashed up with a machete and the guy left his

Customer Question

I had my car smashed up with a machete and the guy left his blood on the car which came back as a match. but the police won't let me take him to court due to insufficient evidence and has so far not given me the rights to take him to court myself. He destroyed a 14.000 grand car that couldn't be fixed. Where do I stand here?
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Anthony Chendo replied 12 days ago.


Welcome to JA.

I am sorry to hear about your situation.

Please confirm whether the incident occurred in England or Wales?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
It happened in England
Expert:  Anthony Chendo replied 12 days ago.

I suggest you seek to obtain a copy of the police report by writing to the police and asking for the information.

Whilst awaiting the report please obtain quotes to repair your vehicle.

Once you obtain the report, review carefully and if there are no other pending investigation you should consider taking the first steps with regards ***** ***** matter to court. The first step is to write a letter before action which is a letter outlining why you are owed x amount and failure to pay will result in court action.

When you get to the letter before action stage you can return to JA and we can provide further guidance and a possible template.

The alternative is route is to report to your car insurer as they may assist you with repairing your vehicle and thus recovering the repair costs from the person in question.

I hope i have clarified the position.

Thanks and stay safe.

Expert:  Anthony Chendo replied 12 days ago.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify the answer given.

Thanks and stay safe

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
The problem I am having is my car insurance was being changed from third party to fully comprehensive and at the time my car was smashed up, it was parked in my drive way in the transition. Because of this and lack of action from the police, I had to give the car back to audi. And now I want to take him to court. I have sent an abundance of emails, will a letter be more affective?
Expert:  Anthony Chendo replied 8 days ago.

A letter will be effective. I suggest instructing a lawyer to draft the letter on your behalf will be effective.

You can find a local lawyer using the site below:

Find a Solicitor - The Law Society