How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MarianC Your Own Question
MarianC, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1151
Experience:  20 years experience in Wills and Probates and Trusts
Type Your Law Question Here...
MarianC is online now

My dad is currently in hospital as he broke his hip. He's be

This answer was rated:

My dad is currently in hospital as he broke his hip. He's be even there for 6 weeks now. The hospital aren't sure when they can send him home & have mentioned sending him to a care home. My parents own their house outright so would they have to sell their house to pay for his care. My parents are both in their 70s.
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: They live in Accrington, Lancashire
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: He has numerous mobility problems which have got worse since he fell, he is confused a lot of the time & the hospital he's at is only a rehabilitation centre.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: He has problems emptying his bladder properly so has quite a few accidents but this is more of an inconvenience

Good evening thank you for your question, I am sorry to hear of your situation. Is your mother still living in the house, if so then the house cannot be sold while she is still living in it, however the local authority can in certain cases, place a charge on the property to cover the cost of the fees, but the house won't be sold if your mother still lives there, or any other adult over 60.

Kind regards


Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Thank you. My mum does still live at the house. What does it mean when you say the local authority can place a charge on the house?

I mean if your father needs to pay care fees and his assets are not enough then the local authority will include half the value of the house as belonging to him, but because your mother is still living in the house it cannot be sold, so they will place a charge or loan against the house to eventually be paid when the house is sold even if it takes 20 years.

Hello do you need any further assistance?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
No, you've answered the questions I had, thank you.

Thank you.

MarianC and other Law Specialists are ready to help you