SASH_Law
SASH_Law, Lawyer
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
96947008

I receive housing benefits. I Began putting some money aside

Customer Question

I receive housing benefits.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I Began putting some money aside for my pension. Will they take that into account
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: nothing
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I am in. Manchester
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 15 days ago.

Hi, I’m Lea and I will be assisting you with your query today.

Have your savings exceeded £16000? Or are they over £6000?

The following is useful info to assist you with the site:

1. I am not available for phone calls, but can assure you that the response to your query can be answered online.
  2. The website will offer you a phone call - this is automated; if you inadvertently click for a phone call but don’t want one, kindly refer the matter directly to customer services so that they can assist you. Their number is:(###) ###-####9374
  3. If you do want a phone call, you can request one and another expert will call you. This is separate to the online request which I will respond to.
  4. Please note that you have paid for an answer to your initial query – if you ask for detailed review of documents this will attract a premium service offer.
  5. Please note this is a Q&A site – there is no client/lawyer relationship involved. You are a customer of Just Answer.
  6. If it is a weekend, or evening/late, please be aware that responses may be slower. This is NOT a chat service, it is email based.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I think they are £8000 capital and about £2000 interest but I am not drawing them up as I am locking them for a pension.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
They were less than £6000 last time I updated them
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
In June this year
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 15 days ago.

If you have £8000 in total you are obligated to inform the housing benefit of this. They will reduce your benefits entitlement accordingly as the maximum savings you can have is £6000. They make no distinction between the money you put in and interest.

When you contact them they can tell you by how much your benefit will be affected by the savings you have over £6000.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Ok thanks
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 15 days ago.

You're very welcome.

All the best.