How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SASH_Law Your Own Question
SASH_Law, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4918
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
Type Your Law Question Here...
SASH_Law is online now

I am certain that i have been in a mentally abusive

Customer Question

I am certain that i have been in a mentally abusive relationship and now i have eventually managed to split up for good the feeling of been bullied seems to be escalating... I havent seen my daughter for over 7 weeks now and it hurts... my family and me are trying to comply with my ex girlfriends every demand in order to just see my daughter, but (what i believe to be abuse) is now being used on my family and my mum even cried today.. I even feel that this is my fault... honestly i really believe that i havent done anything really that wrong other than try to defend my self from constant criticizm but I know 100% that i havent done anything even remotley bad enough to be denied any kind of interaction with my baby girl
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: i live in sheffield uk but have got no money in my bank at present does this service cost money
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: i am finding it hard to take any steps due to all help for this kind of thing seems to be aimed at women
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 15 days ago.

Hi, I’m Lea and I will be assisting you with your query today.

I am sorry to hear you are struggling. You can get support from - this is a support line for men suffering from domestic abuse.

In relation to the child arrangements, if parents cannot agree either one can take the matter to court, however first they will have to do a MIAM (mediation) which is a legal requirement before a court will accept an application. See the C100 form for more information on the MIAM and to check if you meet any of the limited exceptions for attending. If mediation takes place, hopefully you will reach an agreement, if it doesn’t, the mediator will sign the C100 and you can apply to court.

The application is made on form C100, and the cost is £215 unless the applicant is on a low income or benefits in which case they may be entitled to fee remission, see form EX160. The court will make a decision based on the best interests of the child.

Find a mediator here:

C100 form:

EX160 form:

E160A Notes:

The following is useful info to assist you with the site:

  1. I am not available for phone calls, but can assure you that the response to your query can be answered online.
  2. The website will offer you a phone call - this is automated; if you inadvertently click for a phone call but don’t want one, kindly refer the matter directly to customer services so that they can assist you. Their number is:(###) ###-####9374
  3. If you do want a phone call, you can request one and another expert will call you. This is separate to the online request which I will respond to.
  4. Please note that you have paid for an answer to your initial query – if you ask for detailed review of documents this will attract a premium service offer.
  5. Please note this is a Q&A site – there is no client/lawyer relationship involved. You are a customer of Just Answer.
  6. If it is a weekend, or evening/late, please be aware that responses may be slower. This is NOT a chat service, it is email based.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I dont really know how to respond to your answer to be honest. I actually am aware of the steps that need to be taken regarding mediation ect... Maybe I didnt ask the correct question? Im not sure.. I am actually concerned regarding making any kind of 'move' if you like due to my ex girlfriend appearing to be able to control any situation regarding my baby or not... what i am trying to say is i suppose... i have never experienced any sort of behaviour like this before and to be completley honest i am a confident person normally and now i have been seperated from my ex for a little while i am not blaming myself as much... but i have got this overwhelming horrible feeling that i am being bullied... i am not joking when i say that i am actually worried about what she has actually achieved controling wise and thought involving my family would help to see through the mist... what has actually happened is that me and my family are all kind of walking on eggshells where before i built up the courage to reached out for help from my family it was just me walking on eggshells... Whatever is happening right now seems so wrong i feel that their must be maybe some further action i could/should take?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I do not have any money to click the call me option although if i did i would certainly pay the fee
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 15 days ago.

I gave you a link to the men's advice line for you to get support with your issues.

This is a legal board, and the legal answer to your concerns about contact is to apply to court.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Actually now you say it like that and I have reread your reply I understand that you have answered my question factually correct and covered all my questions and concerns
thank you
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Can I ask another legal question that I feel is really relevant to this conversation?
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 15 days ago.

You can ask, if it is not related you will need to open a new thread.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you
Is it illegal for someone to attempt to manipulate/control another person that they are in an intimate relationship with through threats that are not of a violent nature yet just as harmful?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
forget the 'yet just as harmful' part of the question please
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 15 days ago.

Coercive and controlling behaviour is a crime.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
thank you for all your advice, I will take a look in to your last reply to see if it fits my opinion of the relationship I have just ended and act accordingly
Thanks again
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 15 days ago.

You're very welcome.

All the best.