How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anthony Chendo Your Own Question
Anthony Chendo
Anthony Chendo,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3021
Experience:  Solicitor at BLM
Type Your Law Question Here...
Anthony Chendo is online now

Our rainwater drain at the back of our house keeps blocking.

Customer Question

Our rainwater drain at the back of our house keeps blocking. Every time it is blocked, there are toilet rolls and toilet waste overflowing from the drain. The smell was so awful. It’s right outside our kitchen and bedroom so we eat and sleep with the intolerable smells for days and weeks. I really had enough and would like some advice. I believe one of the neighbors mis-connected the wastewater to the rainwater pipe. How should a go about getting it resolved?
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Anthony Chendo replied 18 days ago.


Welcome to JA.

I am sorry to hear about your situation.

Please note that this is not a chat service therefore you may experience delays.

In view of your suspicion you will need to obtain a report from a drain specialist to confirm the cause of this issue and the costs to rectify it. Assuming the report supports your suspicion then I suggest you disclose the report to the neighbour and request they foot the bill given there is argument that through the neighbour's negligence you have suffering this loss.

Do you understand what I have stated so far if yes I will proceed to discuss the next step?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I know which neighbour. I had a chat with him. He said to me it’s already connected this way when he bought the house. I am in good relationship with him. I don’t want him to think I report him behind his back. I did tell him I am going to call wastewater company to complain about the blockages.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
We both know it would cost a lot of money to fix it. He just does not want to spend. I don’t want to fall out with him but I can tolerate further.
Expert:  Anthony Chendo replied 18 days ago.


If the nuisance emants from his property and you don't want to ruin the relationship you can perhaps offer to split the bill as a gesture of good will. However if the issue is not what you think it is then you will have to foot the bill unless the report points the finger at someone else.

I hope I have clarified the position.

Thanks and stay safe.

Expert:  Anthony Chendo replied 18 days ago.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify the answer given.

Thanks and stay safe