Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
11292137

I am trying to find a solicitor to witness signatures for

Customer Question

I am trying to find a solicitor to witness signatures for transfer of ownership of a grave. Everyone I have rung will only do it for existing clients. Can you advise?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Kent
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Is there anything else the Expert should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Expert:  Stuart J replied 18 days ago.

Hello. Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist your with this today.

Please bear with me and I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you. You will receive an email when I reply.

Can you give me the background to this matter in order for me to advise correctly - thank

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
My mother has recently passed away and was the owner of the grave. I need to transfer ownership to be able to reinstate the headstone as it is a double internent of ashes grave which has my fathers ashes already interred there. So I need to have a form witnessed for change of ownership to replace the headstone with the new inscription
Expert:  Stuart J replied 18 days ago.

Can I see the form please?  It wouldn’t normally need to be witnessed by a solicitor, it could be witnessed by the office cat so to speak.

Is someone insisting that its witnessed by a solicitor?

If someone is insisting its witnessed by a solicitor, it’s not actually necessary although if it is just a signature, there is no reason why any solicitor shouldn’t do it for 20 quid or so.  They will not do anything for nothing.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
No thank you I'm from England £44 is not acceptable
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I don't have the form at the moment it's our local council who are insisting but I can't find a solicitor who will do if you're not already a client
Expert:  Stuart J replied 18 days ago.

You have probably seen a pop-up offering you the chance of a telephone call at an extra cost.  It is up to you whether you have a telephone call or not but do bear in mind that a 15-30 minute telephone call covers an awful lot of ground and you can get an awful lot of information in that time.  So you can ignore it or go ahead or go ahead later.  It’s your choice.

Meanwhile, we can carry on on here.

We are all based in the UK even though the site is administered in the United States.

Do you have anything from the council whereby they are insisting that this form is witnessed by a solicitor?

I don’t have a solicitor can say that they can’t deal with this unless they’ve seen the form.

I would need to see the form before advising you further because there is the facility to witness documentation remotely under the Covid provisions so it may be something that we could do for you but we are going to need the document is indeed any other solicitor is.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Ok I am waiting for the local council to email the form to me when she does I will send it to you. Many Thanks
Expert:  Stuart J replied 18 days ago.

Thank you.  You can attach it using either the paperclip, or the up arrow or the link at the end of the reply box.  It depends which page you are on.

In your own time.