Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

What is my rights about giving my email address to an

Customer Question

What is my rights about giving my email address to an organised party
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: In Shrewsbury
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have asked the question on line
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: do you know the reason for this as I feel that we are being told by the Shropshire Football Association, that unless email addresses are not given then we will not be able to participate in a local football league, although the league have recieved and accepted those details
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 14 days ago.

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 14 days ago.

What reason have they provided for wanting your email address?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
they are saying now that it is mandatory request from the Football Association
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
the £44 fee is to much for me to pay as and individual
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
this is not working kindly cancel my £5 fee I have just paid out
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 14 days ago.

Apologies for the slight delay. The pop-up offering you the chance to request a phone call is automatically generated by the site and you have already paid for a written response so that is the part I will continue helping you with. Please leave it with me for now; I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, usually the same day. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 14 days ago.

Many thanks for your patience, I am pleased to be able to continue assisting with your query now. First of all, I am sorry to hear about the issues you have experienced in your situation.

There is no legal obligation for you to provide your email addresses to the organisation, but they can have that requirement as part of their terms or policies. In the end, you have to remember that they are a private organisation which can set its own rules and procedures. The participants are expected to adhere to those, or they simply won’t be allowed to participate. You have no legal right to receive their services and they can refuse to provide these if you do not agree with their rules, including the request to have your email address. If you do not agree with these rules, then you have to find an organisation which does not have that requirement and the rules of which you are happy to accept.

It is the same as our service – we can request that you submit your email address before we provide you with advice. We can refuse to provide you with any advice, unless you gives us your email address. This is our prerogative and so it is the club’s prerogative in your situation.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 13 days ago.

Hello, following my main response above, I just wanted to check that everything was clear. If you have any further queries about this issue, you can reply to me at any time on this portal and I will be happy to help. Thank you.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 13 days ago.

Hello, I trust that everything has now been resolved to your satisfaction and your original question has been dealt with. If you have any further queries about it, please do not hesitate to get back to me on here. In the meantime, I wish you all the best.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Ben, the Shropshire Football Association has decided to let teams who have not registered players on the whole game system will not have to for this weekend, teams will however have by next weekend. So much for players not being insured if they dont register on the whole game system with email addresses.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 12 days ago.

Thank you very much for clarifying. Unfortunately I cannot comment on whether this will affect the insurance or nit as it all depends on what the insurance policy terms are and whether the insurer has also potentially given a specific exclusion over this issue for a week.