How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Vineet S Your Own Question
Vineet S
Vineet S,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3071
Experience:  Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed
Type Your Law Question Here...
Vineet S is online now

I need help with filing for a divorce left a mental

Customer Question

Hi I need help with filing for a divorce left a mental controlling relationship 2 years ago and I have no idea where to start as situations are getting worse, also since splitting g I have lost control of many situations and now find my self in a whole where I cannot get out of. I need some help as i am not in a good place and its dragging me further down
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Gateshead
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I had to get a copy of marriage certificate from the civic as my ex refused to give me the copy and that's about it really didnt want to admit I need help but I do
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No just divorce and help with my money situation please
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Vineet S replied 14 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, I am a solicitor in England and Wales and I will be dealing with your case today.

Kindly note, I am not available for phone calls at the moment, however I can easily assist you via this online chat.

I will go through your question and will get back to you with my answer shortly.

Meanwhile, please ignore any phone call request pop-up, they get generated automatically without any input from the expert, so I have no control over these requests.

Expert:  Vineet S replied 14 days ago.

Hi there,

Regarding your financial rights at the time of divorce , you would have equal share on the matrimonial assets

Assets are either:

  • matrimonial assets - money and property you or your ex acquired during your marriage

  • non-matrimonial assets - money and property you or your ex acquired either before or after our marriage

Expert:  Vineet S replied 14 days ago.

Usually the matrimonial assets gets divided equally between the parties at the time of divorce, however, there are no hard and fast rules regarding division of assets on divorce. When dividing assets the Court, takes into account of various factors which are known as Section 25 factors (Section 25 of the Matrimonial Causes Act 1973).

These factors includes:

  • Income and earning capacity, property and other financial resources that each spouse has or is likely to have in the foreseeable future.

  • The financial needs, obligations and responsibilities, which each spouse has or is likely to have in the foreseeable future.

  • The standard of living enjoyed by the family before the breakdown of the marriage.

  • The ages of each spouse and the duration of the marriage.

  • Any physical or mental disability of either spouse.

  • The contributions that each spouse has made or is likely to make in the future to the welfare of the family.

  • The conduct of each spouse, if that conduct is such that it would be unfair to disregard in the opinion of the Court.

However, the first consideration before looking at any of these factors will be the welfare of any children of the family.

Expert:  Vineet S replied 14 days ago.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Thank you for using Just Answers. Best wishes.