Vineet S
Vineet S,
Experience:  Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed
60556257

I would like to talk to a solicitor about security keys,

Customer Question

Hi, I would like to talk to a solicitor about security keys
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Expert:  Vineet S replied 13 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, I am a solicitor in England and Wales and I will be dealing with your case today.

Kindly note, I am not available for phone calls at the moment, however I can easily assist you via this online chat.

I will go through your question and will get back to you with my answer shortly.

Meanwhile, please ignore any phone call request pop-up, they get generated automatically without any input from the expert, so I have no control over these requests.

Expert:  Vineet S replied 13 days ago.

Hi there,

What is your specific question, please?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hi Vineet, we were given 1 security key with the property that we moved into last year. There was 2 of us but on the contract there was only 1 name and so the landlord refused to provide us with a second key and instead order it and made us pay for it which was about £15. It then broke so we threw it out - but the landlord is asking for it back and threatening £1000's of damage for a new lock - they don't yet know that its broken as we thought that since we paid for it it was technically ours
Expert:  Vineet S replied 13 days ago.

If you ordered and paid for the second key yourself , then though it is yours to keep , but you should not be keeping it as it can be a security threat to the new occupants .

Keeping the key also means you have the constructive possession of the property.

So, if you fail to return the key though paid by yourself , it can be seen as a security issue ( assuming you can have access to the property at any given time by using your second key)

So, you need to be straight forward here by telling the Landlord that key has been damaged and you do not have any other keys to their property.

So, as you said key is technically yours , but the property is of the Landlords that your key can give you access to.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
But if the key is broken and I cannot return then what can I do
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
sorry I misread your message
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
makes sense
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Will I be liable for any costs if the key is damaged?
Expert:  Vineet S replied 13 days ago.

Well, you need to tell your Landlord that your key has been damaged and you do not have any other keys to his property.

Expert:  Vineet S replied 13 days ago.

Thus , there is no need to change the locks

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
okay, thanks Vineet, appreciate this is perhaps a menial issue to you so thank you very much for the help
Expert:  Vineet S replied 13 days ago.

My pleasure.

Thank you for using Just Answers. Best wishes.