How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 14783
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

How do I contest a will, West Midlands, Only just heard

Customer Question

How do I contest a will
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: West Midlands
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Only just heard about it
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 15 days ago.

Hello, this is Jim and welcome to JustAnswer. I will be the lawyer working with you today.
Sorry to hear of the issue. I will set out my written answer shortly.

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 15 days ago.

To contest a will you will need to issue a caveat at the Probate Registry which then pauses probate for 6 months (but this can be renewed) whilst the dispute is resolved. The grounds for contesting the will can be that the deceased made it without having mental capacity or was pressured to change it, or it does not provide for you, etc.

You can do this yourself (you would need to fill in this form: and send to your local probate registry which can be found here: You will need to enclose a fee of £20 payable to HMCTS when you lodge the caveat.

Or you can use a solicitor local to you and they can deal with this application and then source the medical records to confirm lack of capacity. They will then attempt to resolve the dispute.

You can find a local probate solicitor via this website :

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 15 days ago.

Also there are pro bono (free of charge) lawyers who could assist you. You can try these firms for legal representation (they are a charity who connect you to pro bono lawyers) :

LawWorks or

Here is another:

And there is this one : Advocate: Finding free legal help from barristers

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 15 days ago.

I hope this helps and answers the question - my goal is to ensure you are happy with the answer and have the information you need. If you have any follow up questions then please let me know. I will reply as soon as I can to help with any further queries.

Many thanks,

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 15 days ago.

Please let me know if the answer helped or if you need me to cover anything else?. I am happy to clarify the answer or if you have any follow up questions. If so, I’d be grateful if you would let me know. I am free most days, including weekends, so feel free to ask me anything you are unsure of.

Best wishes,


Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 15 days ago.

My pleasure