Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

Pumpmaster fitted one of their systems to my toilet in May.

Customer Question

Pumpmaster fitted one of their systems to my toilet in May. End of August water was seeping from somewhere??? Pumpmaster attended on Sept 7th arriving at 8.57 and leaving at 9.03 informing me that it was not his problem and that I would need a plumber. The bill - £117 for 5 mins?? I now have to pay for a pli
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Halesowen B63 4NG
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Non, I was hoping for advice. I am a pensioner and will find it difficult to meet this bill and then call a plumber
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I cant think of anything else
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 17 days ago.

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 17 days ago.

Were you informed of their charges, before they actually came out?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
no
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 17 days ago.

OK I understand and thank you for providing this information. Please leave it with me for now; I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, usually the same day. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 17 days ago.

Many thanks for your patience, I am pleased to be able to continue assisting with your query now. First of all, I am sorry to hear about the issues you have experienced in your situation.

Your rights will depend on whether the latest problem was as a result of the installation which Pumpmaster did for you, or if it is an entirely separate issue.

When a consumer enters into a contract for services, the Consumer Rights Act 2015 says that such services must be:

- Carried out with reasonable care and skill (to the same standard as any reasonably competent person in that trade or profession)

In addition, any information exchanged in communications between the parties, whether written or verbal, is binding if the consumer relies on it to proceed with the services in question. If there are problems and the trader cannot satisfy the above criteria, which are legally expected of them, the consumer will have certain rights

In the event of substandard work, the trader should either redo the parts of the work which are inadequate or perform the whole service again at no extra cost to the customer. This must be done within a reasonable time and without causing significant inconvenience. If this is not possible, the consumer can claim a price reduction, based on the severity of the issues. That is something which should be negotiated between the two parties. However, if the trader refuses to resolve the issues, the consumer can consider getting someone else to do this and either deduct these costs from the balance that is still owed to the original trader, or pursue them for any extra costs that have been incurred as a result.

So if this leak was because of the work they originally did, you can expect them to fix it at no extra cost to you. However, if this was not related to their work, they are not liable for it and if they came out to inspect it and also you were advised of their call out charges beforehand, you may be liable for their time.

If no costs were discussed beforehand, you can argue that they are asking for an unreasonable amount, considering the time spent at your property and the fact no materials were used. You can refuse to pay and negotiate the price down. In the end, it is up to them whether to take it further but considering the amount and the circumstances, I doubt they would go legal with it, which is the only way they can force you to pay.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 16 days ago.

Hello, following my main response above, I just wanted to check that everything was clear. If you have any further queries about this issue, you can reply to me at any time on this portal and I will be happy to help. Thank you.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 16 days ago.

Hello, I trust that everything has now been resolved to your satisfaction and your original question has been dealt with. If you have any further queries about it, please do not hesitate to get back to me on here. In the meantime, I wish you all the best.