How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 19638
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I want to start a civil action lawsuit against the police

Customer Question

I want to start a civil action lawsuit against the police regarding assault and battery. It was a clear case of mistaken identity my body cam footage shows 2 kicks one to the right shoulder and a kick to the face while i was on the floor. Which resulted in blood pouring from my face. I had take myself to the hospital. I logged a complaint the next day. The internal review by the police said it was reaso9nable force. I appealed to the iopc the denied my appeal what are my chances in civil court . There was NO excuse for the kick to the face i was flat on the floor not resisting what are my chances?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: South Yorkshire Sheffield
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I am now in the enquiry stage with a solicitor firm
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: my first message explains it all
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 13 days ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 13 days ago.

If you need to contact customer services you can do so by calling free on: 0808(###) ###-####or by email: *****@******.***

You may get a request offering you a telephone call. I am more than happy to do this for you but please note that this is a premium service and therefore attracts an additional charge. This charge is not instead of asking an online question but in addition to. You do not have to accept a telephone call and if you do not wish to have it, please do not click on the request for one. Should you do so then you will be charged for the call.

I will try and answer your question promptly, but as this is an online service there can be delays.

Don’t worry you do not have to wait here for an answer and you will get an email when I respond.

Now let me just take a look and your question and I will see if I can provide an answer for you.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 13 days ago.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 30 days of the letter of claim, or say you will go to Court within 30 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1

and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Based on what you have said, I dont think you can claim more than £25,000 or so.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 13 days ago.

I was just following up to see if there is anything else I can assist you with today? If so, just let me know.If not, then I am happy to have been able to assist you.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Why can't I claim for more than 25,000? I am law abiding citizen no criminal record it was a case of mistaken. It was actually armed police who kicked me in the face. I have developed sever psychological issues as a result of this.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 13 days ago.

Because there are personal injury guidelines which says how much a claim is worth.

If you are seeking to claim exemplary damages then you cant claim more than £100,000.

You should issue a claim today

I hope that helps