MARTINT330
MARTINT330,
Experience:  Expert
112154245

I have a mobile phone that has been blacklisted. I purchased

Customer Question

Hi. I have a mobile phone that has been blacklisted. I purchased on ebay and did not steal it. The network says the phone belongs to the original contract. But I purchased the phone. At the time of purchase and for months the phone worked with EE sim. Who does the phone belong to?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Epsom Surrey
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Spent hours on the phone with ebay, Samsung, EE, bank and reported to the police
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Good enough for now I think
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 19 days ago.

Hello I am happy to assist this evening.

You only get 45 days buyer protection and it's so easy to end up with a phone that is blocked after this has expired.

Your credit card issuer MAY be able to help, if that's how you funded the payment, but they're unlikely to be under any legal obviation to do so. People don't realise that when you pay by PayPal you're not using the card to buy the phone, just a money transfer service. The card issuer is only jointly liable with the merchant account holder, which is PayPal. Paypal has provided the service you paid for and you accepted that their buyer protection cover was limited to 45 days. Your card issuer has no relationship with the original seller. However some may help out of goodwill, or may have their own card purchase protection schemes.

Or of course if you know who the seller is you can sue in the small claims court, although the chances of success against people who sell dodgy phones are not good.

Is there anything else I can help with this evening?

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 18 days ago.

Thank you for your enquiry.