Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

We are on process of having quart,z worktops installed at

We are on process of having quart,z worktops installed at our property. The templates called and after 30 minutes aborted the measurement process as there were a number of level issues of instil
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: FE7 6GL
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: De7 6gl
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Yes because of the abort they have charged

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Were you aware of any abortive fees before they came to measure up? and what is your specific question in relation to this please, so that I can best advise?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
The initial fee was included in our quotation part of a £3000 worktop. The templater called but aborted the measurement due to some level issues which we did not agree with . The measure could have been made subject to rectification of minor issues. No charges were expectd by us. The company in question have charged us £495 call out charge due to an aborted 34 minute visit . This equates to 15.3% of order value. We think this sum is neither fair or proportionate. If such a call out charge is indeed justified then we will no longer continue with project. Opinion please

OK I understand and thank you for providing this information. Please leave it with me for now; I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, usually the same day. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Many thanks for your patience, I am pleased to be able to continue assisting with your query now. First of all, I am sorry to hear about the issues you have experienced in your situation.

When a consumer enters into a contract for services, the Consumer Rights Act 2015 says that such services must be:

- Provided at a reasonable cost (unless a specific price has been agreed)

So the main consideration is whether these fees were clearly discussed with you in advance and you knew that you may be liable for them even if you did not proceed with the project.

They should also be justifiable and only cover the actual losses that they have incurred as a result of this call-out. Their time will be included but for half an hour that is unlikely to amount to that much. If any materials were used which cannot be re-used elsewhere, these may also be charges for these. Either way, the total amount they are after has to be reasonable and proportionate, considering what they are trying to cover with it. If it is not, that is what you can challenge them on and re-negotiate the final amount due.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Thank you for your help. We were never Informed of any call out charges prior to the visit for reasons previously discussed. Any reasonable call out charge would have been accepted by us but £495 for 30 minute call out is totally unjustifiable. Do you agree???

Hi there, thank you for your further queries, which I will be happy to answer. Yes, I would agree that this is an unreasonably high charge for the amount of time/work undertaken and will likely fall foul of the requirement for service providers to charge a reasonable cost for what they provide.

Hello, following my main response above, I just wanted to check that everything was clear. If you have any further queries about this issue, you can reply to me at any time on this portal and I will be happy to help. Thank you.

Hello, I trust that everything has now been resolved to your satisfaction and your original question has been dealt with. If you have any further queries about it, please do not hesitate to get back to me on here. In the meantime, I wish you all the best.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Well satisfied ben

You are most welcome. If you have any further questions about this then please do not hesitate to get back to me and I will be glad to help. All the best

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
No further help needed. Great service thanks

My pleasure