Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

Our neighbour above us had had a leak that damaged our

Customer Question

JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: Our neighbour above us had had a leak that damaged our ceiling so much so that we need to replaster etc. Now, we can get that through our building insurance but they need to provide us with an invoice for the work that was done to fix it However they are unable to do so so this screws us as we do need that invoice? what can we do?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London, UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: We talked to them about it. We've been waiting for that invoice for weeks now for them to turn round and say that they are unable to provide one
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: don't think so
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Worth noting that we are landlords of our flat and the neighbour above is also a landlord (living there)
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 18 days ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 18 days ago.

If you need to contact customer services you can do so by calling free on: 0808(###) ###-####or by email: *****@******.***

You may get a request offering you a telephone call. I am more than happy to do this for you but please note that this is a premium service and therefore attracts an additional charge. This charge is not instead of asking an online question but in addition to. You do not have to accept a telephone call and if you do not wish to have it, please do not click on the request for one. Should you do so then you will be charged for the call.

I will try and answer your question promptly, but as this is an online service there can be delays.

Don’t worry you do not have to wait here for an answer and you will get an email when I respond.

Now let me just take a look and your question and I will see if I can provide an answer for you.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
ok no telephone call needed
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 18 days ago.

You can apply to Court that they deliver up an invoice.

You would need to complete form N1:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/form-n1-claim-form-cpr-part-7

Is the same as a debt form but you are asking that they deliver an invoice up to you

The matter will be set down for a hearing and the Judge will decide whether to order them to provide one.

If the Court does and they do not, this could be contempt of Court which they may be warned, fined or sent to prison.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 18 days ago.

I was just following up to see if there is anything else I can assist you with today? If so, just let me know.If not, then I am happy to have been able to assist you.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
okay I think that answers my question
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 18 days ago.

My pleasure

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
can I save that chat somewhere?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 18 days ago.

It remains in your account and you can come back to it at any time by clicking on 'my questions'

I hope that helps.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
great stuff ( and service)
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 18 days ago.

I hope that helps.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Can I double check something - we are both landlords of our flats. That leak occurred before we purchased the flat but we did not spot the related damage about it prior the purchase. We are not trying to fix this etc. Does that change anything?
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
now
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 18 days ago.

That does not change anything. I hope that helps.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
now trying...
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 18 days ago.

Sure

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Also, at the time of the leak, the landlord was a leaseholder of their property (then became a freeholder at the same time we purchased our flat - that was expected) so again does this change anything
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Last thing - now that we are both part of the freehold, we have a shared Building Insurance so again does that change anything?
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Apologies for letting you know all this only now :/
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Are you there?
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Do I need to start a new question?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 18 days ago.

Just issue proceedings today. I hope that helps.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
ok, I am not sure I understand your last comment
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 18 days ago.

Issue proceedings for the invoice. I hope that clarifies.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Ok, I am still confused :/ Are you saying that it does not matter whether this person, who I am expecting an invoice from, was under a leasehold contract at the time of the leak (now under a freehold one ,the same I am part of) as well as it does not matter it happened before I purchased the property? Thank you for you help!
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 18 days ago.

Makes no difference at all. I hope that helps

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Great stuff. Thank you
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 18 days ago.

My pleasure