Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

My daughter got a dog since this covid she hasn't seen him

Customer Question

My daughter got a dog since this covid she hasn't seen him or taken him for a walk i have been looking after him what can I do to get him in my care full timr
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Braintree essex
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Ask rspca and got norhing
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Nothing but I don't want her to know
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 16 days ago.

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 16 days ago.

How long have you had the dog for? Please note this is not always an instant service and I may not be able to reply immediately. However, rest assured that I am dealing with your question and will get back to you as soon as I can. Thanks

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
She moved back for about 5 yrs
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 16 days ago.

Many thanks for your patience, I am pleased to be able to continue assisting with your query now. Under law, pets are treated as ‘chattels’, which just means an item that is owned. They will not be seen as a living thing and will be treated in the same way as inanimate objects, like a car.

If there is a dispute as to who should take possession of a pet, the first thing the courts would look at is who the legal owner is. Initially, that would be the person(s) who bought it, with any subsequent transfers of ownership dependent on the actual circumstances (e.g. was ownership transferred through sale or gift to someone else at any point). SO you would need to have her consent in order to get ownership transferred to you, unless it has become very clear over time that this was her intention, based on the way she treated the dog. For example, if she had nothing to do with it at all for a considerable amount of time and requests by you to have it back were denied or ignored, then that could be treated as implied consent.

You can also try and keep the dog regardless of the situation and let her take this further if she wanted to. She cannot force you to return it so it is a case of her potentially going to court to seek possession of it, but where she does is another question. Until that happens, you can still keep hold of it.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 16 days ago.

Hello, following my main response above, I just wanted to check that everything was clear. If you have any further queries about this issue, you can reply to me at any time on this portal and I will be happy to help. Thank you.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 15 days ago.

Hello, I trust that everything has now been resolved to your satisfaction and your original question has been dealt with. If you have any further queries about it, please do not hesitate to get back to me on here. In the meantime, I wish you all the best.