Vineet S
Vineet S,
Experience:  Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed
60556257

I've been scammed by fraudsters to the sum of £3000. My bank

Customer Question

I've been scammed by fraudsters to the sum of £3000. My bank Santander has called to state their awareness but claim there is nothing they can do please can you help me
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: South East London
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Just contact between Santander and self
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Santander issued letters addressed to me to explaining how not to get scammed in the future and also stating that there not sure if they could recover my money
Expert:  Vineet S replied 8 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, I am a solicitor in England and Wales and I will be dealing with your case today.

Kindly note, I am not available for phone calls at the moment, however I can easily assist you via this online chat.

I will go through your question and will get back to you with my answer shortly.

Meanwhile, please ignore any phone call request pop-up, they get generated automatically without any input from the expert, so I have no control over these requests.

Expert:  Vineet S replied 8 days ago.

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about that.

It is an Authorised push payment (APP) fraud. It means the account holders tricked into making bank transfers.

Authorised Push Payment (APP) scams happen when a person or business is tricked into sending money to a fraudster posing as a genuine payee.

Many banks have signed up for to the voluntary Authorised Push Payment Scam Code ,for protecting their customers from these scams.

Make a formal written complaint to the Bank .

Code says that Your bank should reimburse customers who might not have been able to protect themselves from a scam using these steps or customers considered vulnerable to begin with.

Please see the attached letter.

bd10599c-3173-4d73-8c84-e7445497ce60_letter-file-app-code-complaint-letter-template-481973.doc

You need to send it to your Bank, by putting in the details of your scam.

Expert:  Vineet S replied 8 days ago.

you can also escalate it to the Financial services ombudsman , if you are not happy with the resolution of your Bank.

Expert:  Vineet S replied 8 days ago.

You can report this to the Financial ombudsman service, which can be done online using the below weblink-

https://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/contact-us/complain-online

Expert:  Vineet S replied 8 days ago.

I trust this helps.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

In the meantime, thank you for using Just Answers. Best wishes.