How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 75168
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

Meechan I am a pensioner and my cousin ask me for a loan of

This answer was rated:

Hi my name is ***** ***** I am a pensioner and my cousin ask me for a loan of money I payed her 9.thousand and more money but not heard from her she blocked me of her phone
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Edinburgh Scotland
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I went to citizens advice bureau They can't help me
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Oh I do hope so she told me it was a box due to her boy freind from America army not sure the army but the box was in Germany so he gets the box and he gets out of army

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.

How long ago was this please? and have you made any formal written requests asking her to pay you back in full?

Ben Jones and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Ok thank you
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Why you say 5pounds then 44pounds

Thank you. Please note call requests are fulfilled in order, based on when they are requested; as soon as it is your turn, I will call you. Thank you for your patience.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Please don't take my money as not heard from you
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Don't want your call
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Leave me Lone your scamming me
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I don't want him phoning me don't touch my cash its against the law
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I have not accepted any offer
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Don't need your lies I don't accept any offer at all
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I told you I did not consent to you

Hello, unfortunately I have no involvement in the billing side of things. If you need to query anything to do with billing, charges or membership, you may be able to take certain actions by going to your account on this site. Alternatively, please contact the site’s customer service team directly. You can find their contact details by following this link:

Hopefully, they will resolve any issues you have to your satisfaction.

Going back to your query, if money is owed by one party to another, the debtor can potentially be taken to court to try and force them to pay up. However, as legal action should only be used as a last resort, there are certain steps that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without the need to involve the courts. It is therefore recommended that the following steps are taken in order to try and resolve this:

1. Reminder letter – if no informal reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the other party to voluntarily settle this matter.

2. Letter before claim – if informal reminders have been sent but have been ignored, the other party should be sent a formal ‘letter before claim’ asking them to resolve this amicably within a specified period of time – 14 days is reasonable. They should be advised that if they fail to make contact to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to pursue them for the money that is owed. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this without the need for legal action. If the letter before claim is also ignored, formal legal proceedings can be initiated.

For claims above £5,000, or more complex matters, the claim should be pursued through the Ordinary Cause. Please see here for further details:

Once you hear back from the court, you will send the details of the claim to the debtor, who will have a limited time to answer it. They could accept it and pay what is owed, they could accept it only in part and defend the rest, or they could outright reject it. They could also completely ignore it, in which case judgment will eventually be entered automatically against them. Also, it is worth noting that the simple act of submitting a claim could show the debtor that this is being taken seriously and prompt them to consider negotiating a potential solution to stop the claim progressing further, such as offering full or partial repayment.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
What is it you want leave me and my bank alone do I make my self clear

I think so