Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I am an artist and aware that there are a lot of email scams

Hello, I am an artist and aware that there are a lot of email scams directed at artists requesting artwork which can only be paid for by a cheque etc but recently have been approached by CK Hutchison Holdings Limited for artwork. I've googled the company and it seems to be legitimate. alarm bells are ringing though as it seems strange they can't or won't purchase the artwork via my website. How can I check further if this is a legitimate proposition? many thanks
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Hi, apologise. I am in the UK.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: when he first contacted me with no request for specific artwork I directed him, politely, back to my website. He has since come back with thanks and a list of the work he wishes to purchase. I'm guessing that it could be anybody using his contact details etc. He/they request the following; Also as regards ***** ***** would like to use this medium to inform you that payment for those pieces will be made by cheque drawn from uk bank and it will cover the cost of the pieces and shipment.Once the cheque clears at the bank, deduct the cost of the piece and have the overage sent to the shipment broker that will come to your location and have it picked up at your convenient time.And delivered it safely to me at my residential.I would inform the shipment broker as soon as I hear from you and If this is okay by you, I would need the following information from you before the payment can be made available to you. Full name,Full Address and Phone number which the payment will be issued to you without any further delay.The shipping address written below can be used to prepare the receipt of invoice for the artwork.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: He mentions having a limit to his budget, which also rings alarm bells if he is who he claims to be. My art can be purchased via paypal or credit/debit card directly from my website. But I have never sold to china before, Thanks.

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

What is your specific question in relation to this please, so that I can best advise?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hi, thanks for responding. There are a lot of scams directed at artist and they seem to involve having the customer pay by cheque into the artists account, just to obtain pertinent details e.g. bank account, address, phone number etc. The cost of the lost artwork isn't in question, it is what the 'customer' does with the account details that is where the scam usually lies.
How do you advice I can check further that it is legitimate purchase? I'm guessing it is not needed for them to have all my personal details e.g. address/phone number for a purchase.?

No problem at all. Do you have a website address at all for this company, or any other contact information?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
This is the contact details given; Mr KAM Hing Lam
Deputy Managing Director
CK Hutchison Holdings Limited, 48th Floor, Cheung Kong Center,
2 Queen’s Road Central,
Hong Kong

Many thanks for your patience, I am pleased to be able to continue assisting with your query now. It can be quite difficult to check the legitimacy of someone because there are so many clever ways of hiding one’s identity, or taking someone else’s and hiding behind another company or person’s profile.

Whilst the company in question may be legitimate, who is to say that you are actually dealing with them. Many times I have seen scammers pretend to represent a legitimate company and there is no real way of verifying if they are telling the truth or not, unless you actually manage to personally vet them, such as asking for their ID documents and checking them against the person you are corresponding with (i.e. seeing them in person or vide call, or similar) and then cross-checking it against the company details to see if they are officially linked to them.

In terms of sending you a cheque, all they would need is your name and address to send it to.

Finally, if you are not comfortable with aspects of the sale then you obviously do not have to proceed with it. For the sake of potentially losing one sale, you could avoid losing out a lot more if it is a scam and it may simply not be worth the risk. Stick to your policies and the way you sell artwork and if it does not look right, maybe there is something there which you should avoid

Hello, following my main response above, I just wanted to check that everything was clear. If you have any further queries about this issue, you can reply to me at any time on this portal and I will be happy to help. Thank you.

Hello, I trust that everything has now been resolved to your satisfaction and your original question has been dealt with. If you have any further queries about it, please do not hesitate to get back to me on here. In the meantime, I wish you all the best.