Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I run a company that has sold a product to an event. The

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I run a company that has sold a product to an event. The event in question has ran into difficulty and has now been forced to postpone with around 10,000 people awaiting refunds. I have been left with a deposit of around £12k including tax which i received but now won’t be used. I have since learnt the organiser is being investigated for Suspected fraud charges Regarding this event.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: England
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: money is held in my account. People are saying I should not refund as the money will disappear and won’t get paid to the correct people Angry about the situation of the event. But I have not been contacted by Police, Investigators about any investigation going on.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I believe that is everything except no product reached the customer

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
sure what do you need

What is your specific question in relation to this please Doug, so that I can best advise?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
My question is what do I do with the deposit. Because of the situation with the event cancelling and seemingly connected to fraud I don’t want to be involved with it and want to return the money. But I have been told not to return and to keep it as there is a fraud investigation going on by I’m guessing customers of the event. But no one has contacted me professionally about it. Do I hold the money or do I send it back to the event?

OK I understand and thank you for providing this information. Please leave it with me for now; I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, usually the same day. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Many thanks for your patience, I am pleased to be able to continue assisting with your query now. Your rights and responsibilities are between you and the event organisers. Even if there is an issue between them and their customers, with potential fraud, it is not your place to decide hat happens with that money and who it should go to.

If you have been asked to refund it, then you should do so. What happens after that is not your problem really and it is for the organisers and their customers to resolve.

Sometimes, the police may contact you directly and request that you do not send any money to them, in which case you must comply. However, as that is not the case and you do not even know if it will happen, there is no reason for you to hold on to it.

Hello, following my main response above, I just wanted to check that everything was clear. If you have any further queries about this issue, you can reply to me at any time on this portal and I will be happy to help. Thank you.

Hello, I trust that everything has now been resolved to your satisfaction and your original question has been dealt with. If you have any further queries about it, please do not hesitate to get back to me on here. In the meantime, I wish you all the best.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you for your answer I believe it should be sufficient for what I need.

You are most welcome. If you have any further questions about this, please do not hesitate to get back to me and I will be happy to help. All the best