How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 5433
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

My ex wife has take and anti molestation order out and an

This answer was rated:

Hi my ex wife has take and anti molestation order out and an occupational order, i have spoken with a few solicitors and i cannot afford the fees, I am currently paying the rent and the mortgate on a shared ownership property and insurances this totals £996 per month, i cannot afford any more but my ex seems to think that i can
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am living in Brighton but the property in question is in reading berkshire The hearing is on the 13th of this month and i was given poor advise and the solicitor that was going to help me has let me down
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: In what way do you mean?
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I have been given a restraining order because we had a row on the 5th of june which resulted in me being charged with a public order offence
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

sorry to hear what has happened, exactly what is your question?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I can attach the documents, please could i send to you via email?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I am concerned reading through the documents that no only do i need representing but i cannot afford too much, i am concerned that the court would make me pay more than i am now

Sorry call offers are auto generated from the site, not from me. I am currently unavailable for calls, but more than happy to continue here.

Any documents would need to be attached here, we do not accept them to a private email address.

There is also a premium service fee to review and advice on private documents based on the number of documents.

Ypu still have not said exactly what your question is?

james bruce and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Ok my question is can i represent myself? and can the court impose an order to make me pay more than i am now?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I take home £2500 a month and once i have paid that 996 i am left with 1500 for rent running a car etc and a debt management plan

Thank you for that additional information, that will be helpfull in allowing me to advise you today.

yes you can represent yourself if you cannot secure legal aid which is unlikely due to your income or don’t want to pay privately.

The court will of course consider you income and your outgoings before deciding whether you can afford to pay any more. That sorry to say is a decision for the court.

You may also be able to fine a pro Bono service to assist you if you find it hard to represent yourself or pay privately. The attached link would help find such a service.

The following two links will take you to where you may find solicitors who can assist, on either a free probono basis or on a no win no fee basis. Very often they deal with clients who cannot afford to pay for legal assistance and for whom legal aid is not available. The second is

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.