Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
11292137

My husband is taking child benefits for our children,we are

Customer Question

JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: My husband is taking child benefits for our children,we are separated because he use to cheat on me, I leave with someone else but the house where are the kids is rented on my name.My husband pay the rent and I'm paying for food and clothes for the kids,and I help him with the money for bills. It is right that he didn't let me know in two years that he takes the money and he is the only one who can take the money? He had two jobs since a few months ago.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: We didn't filed anything because he always give me the impression that he wants to go back together..
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?
Customer: No
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Yes,my husband is trying to take me out from the contract from the house.And I would like to buy a house but I'm still married with him and I don't know if he will have any benefits if I'm buying the house
Expert:  Stuart J replied 14 days ago.

Hello. Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist your with this today.

Please bear with me and I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you. You will receive an email when I reply.

The children live with you full time?

and does he pay child maintenance through the Child Support Agency?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
The children live with him,I live at 3 minutes distance from them. I'm doing night shifts, just going home to rest and then everyday 5-6 hours I'm with the children. I'm shopping and cooking and thake them out.From 3 when they finish the school program till one hour before I'm going to work I'm with them or if I not working I'm starting with them till bed time. They didn't even realise that I'm not living in the same house anymore
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I don't know if he pay something or not,because I just found out that him is taking child benefit
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Expert:  Stuart J replied 14 days ago.

There is no facility to split child benefit.  It goes to one parent or the other and will normally go to the resident parent who will be the one who has the children the majority of the time.

If it’s a genuinely 50-50 residence than it would normally go to the mother.

Otherwise, I’m not certain what your question is because you haven’t told me what you want to know about this.  Thank you.