How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anthony Chendo Your Own Question
Anthony Chendo
Anthony Chendo,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3018
Experience:  Solicitor at BLM
Type Your Law Question Here...
Anthony Chendo is online now

I I’ve got a problem with a trader who didn’t finish the job

This answer was rated:

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: i I’ve got a problem with a trader who didn’t finish the job what’s was already paid
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Northampton
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I just sent an email to him to return me money back by not finishing the job what was paid for
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No


Welcome to JA.

I am sorry to hear about your situation.

Please note that this is not a chat service therefore you may experience delays.

Has the trader agreed to return the money or has he ignored your request?

Anthony Chendo and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
The trader ignore my request, he just changed the agreement and told me the amount I paid is for the job they done, but he just started the job and left me


As discussed it appears your rights under the consumers rights act 2015 has been breached. This is because it states services provided must be performed with reasonable care and skill. In view of the works undertaken it appears  the service provided did not meet the standards expected.

The remedies available to you is price reduction which can be up to 100% of the amount paid, repairs until the issue is fixed and you can consider hiring someone else to do the job and then claim the money back from the people that did the defective works.

In view of this I suggest you write to the person and remind them of your rights under the Consumers Rights Act 2015. I suggest you also seek a written second opinion which supports your view on why the works was below par.  Disclose the report and Inform the person that if the money is not returned within 14 days you will get someone else to fix the issue and then you will seek to recover the money paid from him. Further notify him you will also report them to the trading standards too.

Assuming they don't respond to you I suggest you report them to the trading standards and also you can return to JA as we can advise on undertaking court action against the trader.

The link below gives further info on the court fees

Fees in the Civil and Family Courts - main fees (EX50) - GOV.UK (