12826847

I shared an indecent image that my ex had sent to me, on an

Customer Question

Hi. I shared an indecent image that my ex had sent to me, on an online messaging platform called discord. I did not share it to cause harm or revenge against this person. This person is now threatening to sue me/make it publicly known or find a way to deal with it i.e pay them some money. Is there a way to have any legal document written up that means they cannot speak of the incident and they get the money and both parties have the resolution they are looking for?
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: I live in the UK, i have not spoke to anyone yet
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: So far i have spoken to citizens advice who told me to find a solicitors with the area of expertise but i am yet to find anyone to speak to
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: i think that covers it
Expert:  Jo C. replied 12 days ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I'm just looking to find out what my options are
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Is this something you can help me with?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 12 days ago.

Thanks for the information

the reality is that this is an offence and she could report it. You don't really have a defence.

However if she is demanding money from you then that is blackmail if the demand is that you pay her money or she will report this and so you could threaten to report her which is usually the end of the matter

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
there would be no way to have an nda and say she cant say anything that way?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I just want her to able to move on with things and not hold this over me
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I am happy to give her the money she is asking for if this can be arranged
Expert:  Jo C. replied 12 days ago.

No, not that is enforceable.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Why is it not enforceable ?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 days ago.

Well, because it isn't.

They don't prevent allegations of crime.