Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

We recently purchased a kitchen from a company on line who

Customer Question

We recently purchased a kitchen from a company on line who it now seems to be very dodgy. The man that came our and designed it ordered the wrong hob after many heated phone calls he agreed to collect the wrong hob and refund us £200 I messaged him today and he no longer works for the company and didn’t give me a reply to my query on the hob
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: also when the installers came there were 6 doors missing and we have had no luck in getting those from the company either they also owe us £520 for larder inserts that we Isis for but they were not able to provide we are in Birmingham uk
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: phone calls, text and what’s app messages
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: i think I have put everything down
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 18 days ago.
Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 18 days ago.

How long ago was this? and what is your specific question in relation to this so that I can best advise?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
The kitchen was ordered 8.7.21 delivered 20.7.21 and installed 22.7.21
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 18 days ago.

OK thanks, ***** ***** is your specific question in relation to this so that I can best advise?

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 18 days ago.

Hello, I was wondering if you have had a chance to consider my query above please? I will need your response before I provide an accurate answer to your situation. Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 18 days ago.

Without the requested information, I can only provide you with general information, which hopefully will still be useful to you. First of all, I am sorry to hear about the issues you have experienced in your situation.

Whether the man works for the company still or not, the company’s responsibilities will not have changed and they are still obliged to rectify any issues that have occurred as a result of their fault.

If they are unwilling to do so and you are still owed money for various things, you can eventually consider pursuing them for compensation if needed.

If a party wishes to pursue another for financial compensation arising out of a dispute between them, they can potentially do so by making a court claim. However, as legal action should only be used as a last resort, there are certain steps that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without the need to involve the courts. It is therefore recommended that the following steps are taken in order to try and resolve this:

1. Reminder letter – if no informal reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the other party to voluntarily settle this matter.

2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but have been ignored, the other party must be sent a formal ‘letter before action’ asking them to resolve this amicably within a specified period of time – 14 days is reasonable. They should be advised that if they fail to make contact to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to pursue them for compensation. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this without the need for legal action. There are numerous templates available online for such letters and a simple search will bring up a list of useful results.

3. If the letter before action is also ignored, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome. There will be a fee payable, which depends on the amount that is claimed. The other side will eventually get a copy of the claim and they will have a limited time to answer it. They could accept it and pay what is owed, they could accept it only in part and defend the rest, or they could outright reject it. They could also completely ignore it, in which case judgment will eventually be entered automatically against them. Also, it is worth noting that the simple act of submitting a claim could show the other side that this is being taken seriously and prompt them to consider negotiating a potential solution to stop the claim progressing further, such as offering full or partial payment of the amount sought in the claim.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 17 days ago.

Hello, following my main response above, I just wanted to check that everything was clear. If you have any further queries about this issue, you can reply to me at any time on this portal and I will be happy to help. Thank you.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 17 days ago.

Hello, I trust that everything has now been resolved to your satisfaction and your original question has been dealt with. If you have any further queries about it, please do not hesitate to get back to me on here. In the meantime, I wish you all the best.