How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RJM Law Your Own Question
RJM Law, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3448
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
Type Your Law Question Here...
RJM Law is online now

Thinking of buying cat N VWPolo 2011. £3225. Dealer says

Customer Question

Thinking of buying cat N VWPolo 2011. £3225. Dealer says this is due to bumper damage now repaired. Is this reasonable?
JA: Where is the dealer? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: northern Ireland
JA: What steps has the dealer taken so far?
Customer: He says car was repaired when he got it. I feel insurance company would not write this car off for a bumper repair
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Not sure I trust deaer as he wants bank transfer. Not keen to take card payment.
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  RJM Law replied 14 days ago.

Thank you.  Whether you feel it is reasonable will really be up to you.  I understand that you may not trust the dealer therefor from a legal perspective, you will want to obtain proof of the purchase and the amount.   You must also remover that you will still have rights under the Consumer Rights Act.

Under the Consumer Rights Act, if you find the there is a fault with the item purchased then you can ask for a refund within 30 days, if you exceed 30 days but are under 6 months then you have to provide the seller to repair or replace the item, if they cannot do this then you can request a refund.  If you notice the issues after  6 months then the onus is on you to prove that the issues were present at the time of purchase which can prove more difficult.  However if the seller is not willing to comply with any of your rights under the Consumer Rights Act then you can enforce these by taking court action.

I will provide you with a helpful link which will allow you to find a solicitor near your local area who will be able to assist you with this matter.

I hope this information has helped.  You can find a local solicitor who deals with this on the law society webpage which is; (Scotland) (Ireland)

If you require any help moving forward on this matter in the  future,  please do feel free to come back to us and I would be more than happy to assist.

Kindest Regards.