Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I subscribed to an online fitness course and the company is

Customer Question

I subscribed to an online fitness course and the company is based in Dubai. I didn't realise it wasn't going to be available in English and have asked them for a refund. One manager said 'the application had submitted and expect refunds within 14 days'. It has been more than 14 days now. When asked several times about the refund, the manager and customer service did not reply
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have spoke to both the manager and customer service and gave them a warning that I will file a dispute against them.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I have filed a case to get the money back via Paypal but they rejected the case because there wasn't enough evidence of agreement even when I have sent them the receipt
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 8 days ago.

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 8 days ago.

What do you specifically want to know about this? Please note this is not always an instant service and I may not be able to reply immediately. However, rest assured that I am dealing with your question and will get back to you as soon as I can. Thanks

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
How likely I can get my money back? What are the steps? It is a company based in Dubai
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 8 days ago.

Many thanks for your patience, I am pleased to be able to continue assisting with your query now. First of all, I am sorry to hear about the issues you have experienced in your situation.

Whilst you would usually have consumer rights in these circumstances, the main issue here is that the company is not a UK one. This will, in turn, make it rather difficult to pursue these rights.

Under UK consumer laws you have various rights when purchasing online, such as an expectation for the services to be as described or provided with reasonable care and skill. If the retailer fails to honour these statutory rights, you would normally have the option of taking things further to Trading Standards and/or the Small Claims Court.

With a foreign company, these options are not going to get you very far and even though you can potentially sue them, you will not be able to enforce the UK court judgment unless you transfer it to the country where the retailer is located. This will be a complex and expensive procedure and unlikely to be worth it, considering the amount in question. You will easily end up spending many times over the amount sought and potentially not get anything in return.

Unfortunately, these are well-known risks of purchasing from foreign retailers and whilst not all behave in such way if there is an issue, you do get some which simply won’t resolve any problems. You will eventually have to accept that legal action is unrealistic and accept this as an unfortunate event and the main thing is not to try and get caught up in taking action which can end up with spiralling costs, without anything to show in return.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thanks for your advice
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 7 days ago.

You are most welcome. If you have any further questions about this, please do not hesitate to get back to me and I will be happy to help. All the best