Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

This question is specifically for Jeremy Aldermartin as I've

Hi, this question is specifically for Jeremy Aldermartin as I've given him 5 stars in the past :)I'd like to ask about risks related to benefits tenants and student tenants with regards ***** ***** state trying to claim back payments from the landlord.My understanding is that this is sometimes a risk with benefits tenants but not at all a risk with students?If this is not an area you cover then maybe you could recommend me somebody? And hopefully I won't have to pay twice!Thanks,Mike

Hi thank you for your message, please note that I will look to provide an accurate but nevertheless speedy reply to your inquiry. I will endeavour to help you today.

In most cases housing benefit/universal credit is paid direct to the claimant and in those cases recovery can only be made from the claimant. In some cases however the benefit is paid direct to the claimant and in those cases where there is an overpayment it may be appropriate to recover the overpayment from the landlord but only where the landlord is the one who made a misrepresentation or failed to disclose information for example if the rent was £700 a month but you were getting £800 a month and failed to disclose this the overpayment could be recovered from you. In relation to students there is no such risk. I trust this assists

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Oh interesting :)So with students... I was just a bit uneasy as I was aware that they can get not only loans but also grants and also some benefits sometimes. But... you're sure that reclaims are not something I have to be concerned about with students, as a landlord?
If they are claiming benefits the situation is the same as for benefits claimants but otherwise no issues with students. I trust this assists
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Hm, yeah I'm reading online that students can claim quite a few different kinds of benefits.I guess the potential reclaim risks depend on the benefit itself so I should research them individually as and when they come up?Do you think loans and grants should be OK though?

Student loans and grants are fine. It would only be as I say if you were being paid universal credit directly that this is an issue for you. I trust this assists

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Oh OK great thanks.I guess that's all for now so I'll leave a rating and everything :)