How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 8107
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I have a question concerning my student route visa. I am a

This answer was rated:

Good evening. I have a question concerning my student route visa.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am a Swiss student coming to London for my MA.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have a student route visa with entry clearance from the Royal Academy of Music.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I am also on exchange as a fee-paying free mover student at King's College for one semester. My question is if I need a second visa and if I am allowed to study there as well.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
On my visa there is written that I am allowed to do ,supplementary studies at another institution'. So do my 3 courses at King's count as supplementary studies?


I am a solicitor.

Please upload a copy of your visa using the paperclip icon.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
File attached (512L11G)

Thank you.

The general rule as far as supplementary studies is concerned is as follows:

"While you are studying the course for which your Student immigration permission was issued you can take extra courses at any level, with any course provider. This includes short courses during vacations and in the period between the end of your course and the end of your visa. The provider of the extra course is not required to have a Student sponsor licence. There is no need for either the provider or you to notify the Home Office about the supplementary study. While there are no immigration restrictions on supplementary study, you should check that the academic regulations at your sponsor institution allow you to take an extra course."

The above is from here:

Does your proposed studies at Kings meet the above criteria?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Well I guess not actually. The course takes place during the semester as it is an exchange semester. What does this mean now for me?
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
thanks for your answer!

You are welcome.

I am afraid in that case you cannot do the Kings course as you cannot hold two student visas at the same time.

All the best

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
you are sure that you cannot add another institution or CAS number to the student route visa?

Not as far as I am aware. You may check with Kings to double verify.

All the best

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Ok thank you very much. All the best to you as well.

You are welcome.

Good luck in your studies.

UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Good morning. May I ask you a follow-up question? I found out that for studies that are 6 months or less, Swiss students don't need a visa in the UK. Therefore, I don't have to apply for a Visa for my studies at King's College. My question now is if I am still allowed to take 3 modules at King's (they end in Mid-December) parallel to my MA at the Royal Academy? As a free mover student at King's, I am not in an organized exchange of my home university. Still, the modules take place during the academic term, so they don't count as supplementary studies. It seems like a bit of a grey area, so how do you see the situation legally? Thanks a lot for your response!

You may proceed with the course at Kings and see what happens (at your risk), as it is a grey area, I would not wish to speculate on what action the Home Office may or may not take.