Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

Does the Consumer Rights Act apply to local authority

Does the Consumer Rights Act apply to local authority carparks? The charge made on the phone app is 10% higher than the price displayed.
JA: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me where this is?
Customer: Winchester, Hampshire
JA: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: No. It's just an enquiry. I found your service on Mr Google !
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No, I don't think so. Thank you.

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

What was the extra for and was it advertised before you made payment? Please note this is not always an instant service and I may not be able to reply immediately. However, rest assured that I am dealing with your question and will get back to you as soon as I can. Thanks

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
It wasn't advertised on the display board in the car park nor does it relate to an additional service. It's simply that the Council increased the price of parking but didn't update the boards. I think that they should have done at the same time the prices went up.

What about the prices on the app, were they correct?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I assume the price on the App was/is correct. It's just a very slack Council which needs a bit of a prod now and again.

Yes I agree but the issue is that by using the app, you are automatically relying on the prices displayed there, rather than on the boards. These would be for anyone using any parking machines on the premises. So you would have been notified in advance of the charges, seen them before making payment and accepted them by confirming the booking. The discrepancy between those charges and the ones on the boards is not ideal but legally you have been advised of and agreed to the app charges. You can certainly bring this to their attention and hopefully the boards will be updated as a result but legally it does not really give you any specific rights to complain further.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
OK. Very many thanks for your advice. I think I'll leave it just there. Many thanks again. *****

You are most welcome. If you have any further questions about this, please do not hesitate to get back to me and I will be happy to help. All the best