RJM Law
RJM Law, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
106205234

What rights does a spiritualist church have to charge for

Customer Question

what rights does a spiritualist church have to charge for mediumship services?
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: england
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: none
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: nope
Expert:  RJM Law replied 13 days ago.

Welcome and thank you for choosing our service, I will be the expert assisting you with this matter today.   I appreciate this matter is important to you and I shall try to resolve it as precisely and quickly as possible for you today.

Please note; there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website all work on a third party basis and are not online full time however, I shall endeavour to respond to your question as soon as possible.  I look forward to assisting you in this matter.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
okay
Expert:  RJM Law replied 13 days ago.

Thank you for the question.  The simple answer is that churches to do have the right to charge for services even if said services as seen as directly related to the religion the practice.  Some churches simple ask for a donation, however they are allowed to charge for services.  There is a set price which is governed for what is referred to as Parochial services but depending on the contents of the service they can charge more than the outlined fees.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Should you require any further assistance on this matter, please do not hesitate to post a further questions for additional assistance.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
ISince I read your reply, I’ve wasted much time trying to log on to Just Answer so as to ask you to refer me to the specific legislation which governs Churches setting out the controls on what they can charge for as well as any other regulations they have to abide by. Despite promises from Just Answer telephone answering staff to help me log on, they never did. I will gladly rate you as soon as I’ve been able to log on and finish my queries on the powers of churches such as the Spiritualist Church. Eg If I go there to listen to one of their platforms mediums on a Saturday night and they tell me there is a mandatory £4 donation, can I say “here’s fifty pence” and not get asked to leave? Further, if I was asked to leave for paying say three pounds instead of the required four pound donation could they get the police to eject me? Or could they bring a civil suit against me for the extra pound?
Are they allowed by law to hold raffles, to sell teas and biscuits or other items such as cards and cds? I NEED TO SER THE LEGISLATION PARLIAMENT HAS LAID DOWN TO REGULATE HOW SPIRITUALIST CHURCHES CAN BRING IN SN INCOME.
Thanking you in advance for your reply
Expert:  RJM Law replied 9 days ago.

Thank you they cannot ask for a "mandatory donation" if it is a donation they can only accept what you give, some churches will inform a 'recommended' donation but cannot enforce this.  If they are looking to charge then really this is contract law, as opposed to legal governance.    They would require to tell you any charges prior to you entering the services etc. this must be clear.  They are allowed to hold raffles and sell items etc. if you refused to give the recommended donation the police would not become involved and they would have no basis for a claim, given it is a donation.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I have spent about one hour trying to log on. Each time I phone JustAnswer, I get given a temporary password ***** when I use it, doesn’t work
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I need to access the specific legislation that covers the power of spiritualist churches to raise money and relevant case law