How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RJM Law Your Own Question
RJM Law, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3448
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
Type Your Law Question Here...
RJM Law is online now

I am divorced my ex is Ethiopian, was married for 8 yrs. I

This answer was rated:

i am divorced my ex is Ethiopian, was married for 8 yrs. I owned my house for 25 years been in family or 80 yrs. Paid in full before she came to UK, She applied home rights notice November 2019, I am having her name removed. She wants financial disclosure.
If I put the house in trust for kids can I do this?
There are £90k worth of debt some of it is mine.
house is worth £130k..what can i do to prevent her taking it?

Welcome and thank you for choosing our service, I will be the expert assisting you with this matter today.   I appreciate this matter is important to you and I shall try to resolve it as precisely and quickly as possible for you today.

Please note; there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website all work on a third party basis and are not online full time however, I shall endeavour to respond to your question as soon as possible.  I look forward to assisting you in this matter.

Thank you.

Thank you for the question.  Firstly, assuming the home is the matrimonial home i.e the home you lived in as a married couple, then the court may likely consider it a matrimonial asset and it would then be part of the finical divorce proceedings.  However, the court must take into consideration many different aspects when looking at finical splits (if you are unable to agree between yourselves).  However, it is important to note that the court's ruling will be final.   Therefore what I would strongly recommend is taking some advice about your pre-matrimonial assets and also matrimonial assets and rights and look at coming to what is called a financial agreement moving forward.  If you are both able to agree on a finical agreement then it will save you money and avoid judicial intervention in relation to the split.  It is not likely the court would award your partner the house, of course, each case is judged on its own circumstances.

I shall provide you with a helpful link that will assist you in finding a solicitor/representative near your local area.  This will provide you with someone nearby your area who can assist you if required.

I hope this information proved helpful.  You will find a local solicitor who deals with these matters on the law society webpage which is as follows; (England) (Scotland) (Ireland)

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Should you require any further assistance on this matter, please do not hesitate to post a further questions for additional assistance.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Hi I can’t afford a solicitor

You may be entitled to legal aid.

Legal aid is available to some people but this will depend on the issues being dealt with in the case and the applicant’s financial position. However, legal aid can be available to some people. No lawyer will be able to say if you will be entitled to legal aid or not, as each case is dealt with on and individual basis. What you will have to do is look for local relevant solicitor (most firms have them) who will accept legal aid then ask them to represent you and make an application for legal aid accordingly on your behalf. I can provide a link to help you find one or you can do a simple google search. Your instructed solicitor will help you complete the legal aid application, this will then be assessed by the legal aid board and it will be them who make a decision as to whether or not you will qualify for legal aid for the case/claim.

I hope this information has helped.  You can find a local solicitor who deals with this on the law society webpage which is;

If you require any help moving forward on this matter in the  future,  please do feel free to come back to us and I would be more than happy to assist.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
My house is paid in full

I understand that but regardless of this, it may still make up matrimonial property.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Will I be entitled to legal aid based on the property being worth over £100k
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Can I put the house into trust for the kids so I’m not forced to sell

I cannot determine whether you are entitled to legal aid or not, only the legal aid board can do that, you cannot put the house into a trust no.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I was told that the equity over £100k prevents me from legal aid but I may be wrong

That is likely to be the case, but legal aid applications are each looked at individually.  If you have a lot of equity then you are not likely to be granted legal aid, but as with everything it depends on the circumstances.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Ok it may be worth applying
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
My ex wife also had. Property in Ethiopia apparently that she transferred to her brother in 2016 as she could afford the mortgage.. shall I highlight this

There is certainly no harm in mentioning it,  yes.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Good morningI would like to inform your client I will be in a position to disclose my finances later this month, I am currently in the process of obtaining the best legal advice.I would like to inform your client that I would also need details of your clients' finances and I will be looking at details of the property she owned in Ethiopia that was transferred to her brother in 2016 without my consent.I would like to be upfront and honest with regards ***** ***** finances and will provide all details of monies and debts to take into consideration in relation to a clean break order.I will be in touch as soon as soon as I have concluded my legal position.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Does this email sound OK

Email seems fine to me.

RJM Law and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you

I wish you all the best.