How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RJM Law Your Own Question
RJM Law, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3446
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
Type Your Law Question Here...
RJM Law is online now

I have a car warranty for 3 months and my car broke in less

Customer Question

I have a car warranty for 3 months and my car broke in less then one month and the warranty company refuses, declined my enquire and i would like to know if the reason is based in a legal matter because on my specification of the warranty says that they cover the parts i need?
JA: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me where this is?
Customer: warrantywise is the company and the service that my car is now is called tony levoi vauxhall service
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I've market the car in a safe place, didn't used until assistance came to take it to the service, in the same time we spoke trough emails and in their advise i've left the car in a safe place, looked for a vat service provider, and after the service manage founding the problem I;ve waited for the warranty company to replay.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  RJM Law replied 12 days ago.

Welcome and thank you for choosing our service, I will be the expert assisting you with this matter today.   I appreciate this matter is important to you and I shall try to resolve it as precisely and quickly as possible for you today.

Please note; there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website all work on a third party basis and are not online full time however, I shall endeavour to respond to your question as soon as possible.  I look forward to assisting you in this matter.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
good evening my enquire is related to my warranty company, can you help me in the matter?
Expert:  RJM Law replied 12 days ago.

Yes, I am just looking through your information just now.

Expert:  RJM Law replied 12 days ago.

Thank you for the question.  So the first thing I would advise (which I feel you may have done) is look through the T&Cs of the warranty an ensure that you were meant to be covered by this.   If this is the case and the company are refusing to pay out, there is a process you need to go through prior to legal action.  In the first instance you must exhaust the complaints procedure with the warranty company.  If you do not obtain remedy from them, or they refuse to engage then you can escalate the claim to the consumer ombudsman.  If you exhaust this and still do not have a remedy then at this point you can take court action and either recover the costs of the repair you have outlaid, of you can make them repair it (or pay for a repair).  If the car is not fit for purpose you could look at invoking your rights under the consumer rights act again the seller and let them dispute it with the warranty company.

Under the Consumer Rights Act, if you find the there is a fault with the item purchased then you can ask for a refund within 30 days, if you exceed 30 days but are under 6 months then you have to provide the seller to repair or replace the item, if they cannot do this then you can request a refund.  If you notice the issues after  6 months then the onus is on you to prove that the issues were present at the time of purchase which can prove more difficult.  However if the seller is not willing to comply with any of your rights under the Consumer Rights Act then you can enforce these by taking court action.

I will provide you with a helpful link which will allow you to find a solicitor near your local area who will be able to assist you with this matter.

I hope this information has helped.  You can find a local solicitor who deals with this on the law society webpage which is; (Scotland) (Ireland)

If you require any help moving forward on this matter in the  future,  please do feel free to come back to us and I would be more than happy to assist.

Kindest Regards.