How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RJM Law Your Own Question
RJM Law, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3482
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
Type Your Law Question Here...
RJM Law is online now

I have a question about family law, My husband does not want

This answer was rated:

JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: I have a question about family law
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: My husband does not want to give me dicorce, so I don’t know what is ky next step.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Dundrum
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Dublin

Welcome and thank you for choosing our service, I will be the expert assisting you with this matter today.   I appreciate this matter is important to you and I shall try to resolve it as precisely and quickly as possible for you today.

Please note; there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website all work on a third party basis and are not online full time however, I shall endeavour to respond to your question as soon as possible.  I look forward to assisting you in this matter.

Thank you.

Thank your the question.  Just because the other partner does not wish to get a divorce, this does not mean it is not possible.  However it is important to understand the rules and (legal) reasons for divorce.

Although there is actually only one ‘ground’ for divorce, which is that your marriage has irretrievably broken down, you must prove this to the court by establishing one of the five following facts:



Unreasonable Behaviour

Separation of 2 years with consent (mutual)

Separation of 5 years (no consent needed)

The grounds for divorce do not affect how long a divorce takes in most cases, but due to the lack of a no-fault divorce system in England and Wales, it can delay when you file for divorce.

If you aren’t prepared to apportion blame on your ex-partner then you will need to use a separation ground, such as 2 years separation with an agreement.

This may end your hope of getting a quick divorce unless you can show the court 4-5 examples of your ex-partners behaviour that has caused the breakdown of the marriage.

You will also require to understand that both parties have rights to matrimonial assets, these are assets acquitted during the marriage such as each partner's pension, savings, property etc.  These may have only been paid for by one party but will legally belong to both and this requires to be resolved by way of a financial settlement.

RJM Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you