james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

As an executor of my mother's will do I need to swear

Customer Question

As an executor of my mother's will do I need to swear annoath
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: We live in Barry vale of Glamorgan
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: A will has been underwritten by WSL wills London and trustees are to be my brother and his wife
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I have two brothers both are at loggerheads arguing over who gets what
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Do I need to swear an oath
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I have had to change the original trustees once as my brother's are arguing and I feel I may have to change trustees again
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I am already in charge of all financial banking for my mother and have signatory on her accounts which I pay everything for her .. I have cared for my mother for the past 10 years my brother's have not helped in any way what's so ever so I need legal advice please
Expert:  james bruce replied 19 days ago.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

Sorry to hear of your loss. Please accept my condolences.

NO, there is no oath to be sworn when acting as an executor.

You are appointed as an executor by the person who made the will, in this case your  mother.

There is no legal obligation for you to take up the role of executor and as stated above, no oath to be sworn.

The two brothers how are at loggerheads, have no input in to what each receives. This would normally be detailed in the will, if however, the will simply says divided equally then any personal items do become an issue that needs to resolved.

That should be done by the executors.

One way to try and resolve items that more than one person wants is a very simply draw. Enter all the contested items into a pot and each person takes turn drawing an item form the pot and they get to keep that item.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Thank you james

Sorry call offers are auto generated from the site, not from me. I am currently unavailable for calls, but more than happy to continue here.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I will try another card now

However another expert can pick up your call request.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.