How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RJM Law Your Own Question
RJM Law, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3446
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
Type Your Law Question Here...
RJM Law is online now

I purchased a laptop from Currys in 2018 using my debit

Customer Question

I purchased a laptop from Currys in 2018 using my debit card. 3 days later I traveled out of UK and I am still abroad. On 6th September I got a message from my bank that my account is in overdraft. I was shocked as the account was dormant. I was then informed that CURRYS had £10.98 monthly direct debit for insurance. But I did not purchase insurance and was not informed by Currys.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: I live in Nigeria. My purchase was made in London and my Santander Bank is also in London.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Santander says they have stopped the direct debit but this is of no use as my account is already overdrawn. I tried contacting Currys on phone but the line was not clear. They have no email address. The webchat did not work.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Currys direct debit for over 3 years was the ONLY transaction on my account and this eventually wiped out all my money and threw my account into what my bank termed an “I arranged overdraft”.
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  RJM Law replied 12 days ago.

Welcome and thank you for choosing our service, I will be the expert assisting you with this matter today.   I appreciate this matter is important to you and I shall try to resolve it as precisely and quickly as possible for you today.

Please note; there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website all work on a third party basis and are not online full time however, I shall endeavour to respond to your question as soon as possible.  I look forward to assisting you in this matter.

Thank you.

Expert:  RJM Law replied 12 days ago.

Thank you for the question.  The first thing to do is ask Curry's for proof that you purchased the insurance.  If they are not able to do this, then they have been charging you for a service you have not requested and obviously, they are not allowed to do this.  If this is the case you should show them the amounts you have been charged inclusive of any interest and they should be liable to refund your for this.  However, if for any reason they do not comply and cannot show that you purchased the insurance, then you can make a small claims action.  You should advise them that you are going to do this prior to raising the actions and allow them 14 days to respond.

You can complete the forms for a claims action easily online.  You will have to highlight what the issues are and tell them how much you are claiming for, to be honest the first are straight forward and self-explanatory.   If you feel you can do this yourself then you don’t really need to hire a solicitor but I will provide details for you in case you feel you want to.  You will then receive a response to the claim and a court date.  On the day (unless they offer a settlement) you will appear at the local court and basically provide your evidence and give you claim to the judge and they will response.  The judge will assess the merits of the claim and defence and make a judgement this should be relatively easy for you to prove so the respondent may well offer a settlement in the meantime.

I hope this information has helped.  You can find a local solicitor who deals with this on the law society webpage which is;

If you require any help moving forward on this matter in the  future,  please do feel free to come back to us and I would be more than happy to assist.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Pls note that I am not interested in your £50 membership. So please do not debit my account for any money without my permission.
Expert:  RJM Law replied 12 days ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** afraid that I do not have any control over these matters, if you have any issues, you would require to speak to the admin team as I work as a third party.   Thanks.