Marcinlondon
Marcinlondon, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Lawyer - 8 years experience
110941711

My son is going to Uni next week and my ex is refusing to

Customer Question

Hi My son is going to Uni next week and my ex is refusing to contribute at all. Can I get a court order to make him pay?
JA: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?
Customer: The CMS child maintenance contributions have ended
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county does he live in?
Customer: The CMS child maintenance contributions have ended
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: He says he has paid enough over the years
Expert:  Marcinlondon replied 17 days ago.

Hello, this isCustomerand welcome to JustAnswer. I will be the lawyer working with you today and I will be happy to advise you to the extent possible on this platform. I will review your question and I will be back with my answer shortly. You will get notified when my answer is ready therefore there is no need to wait online.

You will have a chance to request a call. You will see an automatic prompt. Please feel free to request it but do not feel obliged to do so.

Please do note that my response is not instantaneous but I will always aim to get back to you on the same day with my answer, or request more information, if appropriate. Lastly, please note that our discussion on this site is for general information purposes only and do not replace any legal advice you might need, and does not create a lawyer-client relationship.

Thank you for your patience whilst waiting for my answer.

Thank you for your patience and congratulations! Once your child is studying in higher education, they are no longer classed as your dependant. Therefore, you cannot bring any proceedings on their behalf. It is possible under the law, once the child reaches 18, to bring an application against the relevant parent themselves.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions. I am happy to help.