Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I wonder if you can help me? i have been asked by Western

Customer Question

Hi Pearl
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: i wonder if you can help me? i have been asked by Western union to get in touch with the police and report a fraud case, they have given me a case reference number###-##-#### i purchase some goods from a supplier in Pakistan, and now with holding the goods and demanding more money.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: only reporting it to Western union, as i cant get through to the police.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: NO
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 14 days ago.

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 14 days ago.

What do you specifically want to know about this? Please note this is not always an instant service and I may not be able to reply immediately. However, rest assured that I am dealing with your question and will get back to you as soon as I can. Thanks

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
How can I get my money back? Or how can I prosciut this man?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Can I take this guy to court of get my money back.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 14 days ago.

Thank you. Do you know where that person is located?

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 14 days ago.

Hello, I was wondering if you have had a chance to consider my query above please? I will need your response before I provide an accurate answer to your situation. Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 14 days ago.

I see now that the supplier is in Pakistan. Whilst you would usually have consumer rights in these circumstances, the main issue here is that the seller is not a UK one. This will, in turn, make it rather difficult to pursue these rights.

Under UK consumer laws you have various rights when purchasing online, if the retailer fails to honour these statutory rights, you would normally have the option of taking things further to Trading Standards and/or the Small Claims Court.

With a foreign seller, these options are not going to get you very far and even though you can potentially sue them, you will not be able to enforce the UK court judgment unless you transfer it to the country where the retailer is located. This will be a complex and expensive procedure and certainly not worth it, considering the amount in question. You will easily end up spending many times over the amount sought and potentially not get anything in return.

Unfortunately, these are well-known risks of purchasing from foreign retailers and whilst not all behave in such way if there is an issue, you do get some which simply won’t resolve any problems. You will eventually have to accept that legal action is unrealistic and accept this as an unfortunate event.

You can of course report this but what happens next will depend entirely on the authorities:

In order to report this, you should contact Action Fraud (The National Fraud and Cyber Crime Reporting Centre), by calling 0300(###) ###-####or online: https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/reporting-fraud-and-cyber-crime

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 14 days ago.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 14 days ago.

Hello, I trust that everything has now been resolved to your satisfaction and your original question has been dealt with. If you have any further queries about it, please do not hesitate to get back to me on here. In the meantime, I wish you all the best.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
No Ben
As I think £45 is to much for my budget.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 13 days ago.

Hi phone calls are optional so it is entirely up to you whether you have one or not