Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
11292137

Its about my car insurance. Last month I changed car from a

Hi there goodmorning,
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Its about my car insurance. Last month I changed car from a Dodge Nitro 2.8 liter diesel to a Citroën C3 1.6 liter petrol. For the Dodge I payed £107/month for the Citroën they are asking £194/month. Is this normal?
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Nothing yet but it seems not normal. The road tax went down from 43 to 21 a month but insurance doubled
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: This month my insurance has been automaticly renewed

Hello. Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist your with this today.

Please bear with me and I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you. You will receive an email when I reply.

Did you stay with your previous insurer or is this with someone new?

do you have any points / motoring convictions?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
This is still the previous insurrectie. No convictions.3 pointes but that is from 2 years ago

I must admit, the prices that you are being charged seem disproportionate.

I don’t know whether they have made a mistake but it would be worthwhile shopping around for quotes and of the quotes come out much much cheaper and the company refuses to accept that they have made a mistake in calculating how much you should pay, then you can make a complaint to the Financial Ombudsman because they are in breach of the provisions of the Consumer Rights Act 2015 for failing to charge you a reasonable price when the price wasn’t agreed.

You can of course cancel the insurance but you can only do that at the end of a 12 month period from when you first took it out because although it may seem like it’s a monthly policy, it isn’t.  It’s an annual policy to which you are paying monthly and you are obliged to pay for the full 12 month period.

You also have 14 days to cancel the policy from the renewal date.

Thank you for letting me assist you with your legal question.  I am glad that I was able to help.

I am not certain whether that answers the question for you or not, but I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

It will be my pleasure to help you again either further with this or any future questions you have

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thank you for your answer.
I am trying to contact the insurer but can't log in, can't mail them as there service seems impossible to reach at the moment. I have been looking online and the average monthly payments are about £65.

That probably seems about right.  If you can’t get hold of them for a couple of days, then make your complaint to the ombudsman and another complaint would be just that, you can’t get hold of them.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you I will

It was my pleasure to assist you. Please come back if anything else crops up and needs clarification.
Thank you for trusting Just Answer, and of course me,  with your legal problem.