MARTINT330
MARTINT330,
Experience:  Expert
112154245

I have been scammed from an agency for a room and they dont

Customer Question

hi i have been scammed from an agency for a room and they dont cancel the contract
JA: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me where this is?
Customer: london
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: none
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 15 days ago.

Hello I am happy to help with your enquiry today.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
hi martin
i was sent videos and photos of the house and the room and it was really nice. the agent also told me that the flatmates were nice

If you think you may have been a victim of fraud or cyber crime, and live in England, Wales or Northern Ireland, you should report this to Action Fraud at www.actionfraud.police.uk or by calling 0300(###) ###-####

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
no not a crime

Can you tell me a little more about the scam?

Can you let me know some more information regarding the scam?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
They showed me photos and videos of the room and some parts of the house and when I moved in the first day it was super unhygienic. Extremely dirty. I have photos. The comparison is extreme !
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
they don’t accept to cancel the contract and refund me so I proposed to them to keep the 800£ from the 1600£ that I’ve given them. I’m not living in there. I didn’t even get in with my luggages. As soon as I saw it I called them and I said I’m not living in here. But they hold me with the contract. I want to sue them for rental fraud and mentally distress
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
File attached (GS35TMT)

Did you sign a contract? If so could you please send me a copy of it.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
File attached (ZGGSG1Z)
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I signed.... they sent me photos and videos of the house that was looking perfectly fine. Now they’re saying that they have cleaned it but I said that it should be done before my moving and also those flatmates are going to be like that anyway. When they had told me that “the flatmates are very tidy”

That’s awful.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
They told me to rent the room, to find a replacement. Or to pay 6 months rent
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I won’t find anyone to live in there and then I’ll be in trouble. I want the contract to be cancelled. That a fraud. It’s unhygienic the most important

Tenancies agreed in advance are usually binding whether you move in or not.

This includes tenancy agreements signed in person, by post or online.

There is no ‘cooling off’ period for tenancies.

You will usually be liable for rent from the day the tenancy starts, even if you aren’t living in the property.

You may be able to end the contract if you can show you only agreed to it because the landlord or agent did something to mislead you.

For example if a property was advertised as having a parking space but you found out this was not true after signing the agreement.

This is called ‘unwinding’ the contract. It can only be done within the first 90 days of an assured shorthold tenancy.

It’s not enough for the landlord or agent to have failed to mention something. You can only unwind the contract if they deliberately did something to mislead you

Ask your landlord or agent to agree to end the tenancy if you think you were misled. If they don't agree and you leave anyway they may try to take you to court for unpaid rent. The court will decide whether you can unwind the contract.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
There were wholes on the walls , that there were not shown at any photos or videos... does it count ?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
For mislead?

You need to put it to the landlord and or estate agent in writing that you were mislead and request to unwind the contract.
In the letter state that you reserve the right to refer to this correspondence in any pending court hearing.

I hope this helps. Those are awful conditions.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I’m happy that you agree and you don’t think I’m exaggerating...

Is there anything else I can help with this evening?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you so much.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
File attached (7P1GGMQ)
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I sent this email today and they don’t call me back or reply to me
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Tomorrow I’ll tell them again what you proposed to me

No problem. I hope they see sense and court proceedings are not necessary.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you!!!
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Have a lovely night you’ve been amazing to me

No problem. Have a nice evening.