How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ed Turner Your Own Question
Ed Turner
Ed Turner,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1913
Experience:  Director and Consultant Solicitor (Self-Employed) at Ed Turner LLB Limited
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ed Turner is online now

Someone is acusing me for taking ilegal drugs, i got black

Customer Question

Someone is acusing me for taking ilegal drugs , i got black circles around my eyes and earing people saying i zm dependent of drugs , does concern me loads .
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: United kingdom , Boston
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I ask the person who started the rumors to identify herself , i know who did started and why however i need advice how to go futher
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I dont use drugs at all , i will be willing to provide even a blood sample to be tested , but i can not live in a world where people abuse or try to abuse me because of looks
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  MatthewM1117 replied 15 days ago.

Good morning, thank you for contacting Just Answer my name is***** am a solicitor and I will be assisting you today. I am sorry to hear about your circumstances, to clarify you know who started these rumours about you?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
To start with , my landlady tried to help the person who is accusing me for taking illegal drugs , the person has a child of 15 years of age , that child has been molested and sexual abused by her step father , the mother in question instead to support the child is far more concern to get together with her partner . When she told us about the sexual abuse towards her daughter , we tried to help her kid with any kind of support , the mother didnt like it , so she stared rumors and allefations that we ( me and my landlady ) she says we both take drugs
Expert:  MatthewM1117 replied 15 days ago.

Thank you for the confrimation, unfortunately this is outside the scope of my expertise therefore I will opt out to allow another expert to assist you.

Expert:  Ed Turner replied 15 days ago.

Hello.   I am Ed, a Solicitor qualified in England & Wales with over a decade’s experience in the legal profession advising clients.

I specialise in Commercial Contracts, Business Transactions, Employment, Dispute Resolution, Personal Injury and Road Traffic Law and shall be reviewing your legal problem today.

Regarding the site’s automatic offer of a Premium Service Phone Call, I shall be delighted to talk with you by phone to discuss your issue in greater detail if you accept the offer.

However, if you do not want a phone call, please cancel the offer for a Premium Service Phone Call and you will not be charged extra.

Expert:  Ed Turner replied 15 days ago.

You may have a cause of action in Defamation against the author of the statement.

You must issue court proceedings within one year of the statement first being published.

For a claimant to succeed in a Defamation Claim, the following conditions must be met:

1.  The statement in question must be a false statement of fact;

2.  The statement must be negative and derogatory to the extent that it is capable of lowering the claimant’s standing in the opinion of right-thinking members of society;

3.  The statement in question identifies or refers to the claimant;

4.  The statement in question was published to a third party;

5.  The statement must be capable of causing the subject “serious harm” if allowed to stand.

There is no cause of action that sounds in damages in English civil law if another person simply lies to you, even if the lies are repeated and sustained over a long period of time.   The lies must be tantamount to an attempt to defame or defraud you to the extent that they have caused you, or are capable of causing you, financial loss or serious reputational damage.

I suggest that you instruct specialist reputation management solicitors to send a letter of claim to the author of the statement and have them sign an express written undertaking not to repeat the comments as well as providing you with an express written apology, retraction, and correction.

Expert:  Ed Turner replied 15 days ago.

I hope this resolves your enquiry.   Please revert to me if you require any clarification of my answer to your question and I shall be delighted to assist.

Kind regards