Lawry
Lawry, Solicitor
Experience:  Expert
109896623

I parked on private land car park and paid for 3 hours left

I parked on private land car park and paid for 3 hours left after 2 hour, I have received a letter to say I over stayed by 19 minutes and must pay a fine of 60 pounds if paid with in 10 days otherwise it w be 110 pounds. Please advise. Thank you. *****: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Belfast
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I wrote a letter explaining that I indicated to the parking machine I wanted to stay for 3 hours and paid the tariff and received a ticket. Can back at 2pm and left as far as I was aware there was 31 minutes still on my ticket although it did not say any time on ticket. They say I paid for 120 minutes and I my overstay was19 minutes, they don't take any notice.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: They sent a photo of the car entering timed and leaving.

My name is ***** ***** I will try an help you today.

I am sorry you have this problem with the car parking company.

As the car park is no private land, this is a contractual issue and ultimately is your word against theirs.

In the unlikely event you would need to take this claim to court the judge would have to decide on the balance of probabilities which version is preferred.

You have done well to have written to them explaining your case and as you paid you should challenge them to sue you for the alleged balance and you can vigorously defend the claim.

It would be a small claim, so their is no entitlement to costs.

Currently there are 2 parking trade associations, the British Parking Association and the International Parking Community. Each has a Code of Practice that their members are required to abide by, but there is no single set of rules, so motorists are vulnerable to bad private parking practices such as deliberately poor signage and unfair parking fines. Ask them if they are a member of either and complain to the association.

By way of comfort, unfair private parking tickets will be eliminated through the introduction of new rules for private car parks, the Communities Secretary Rt Hon Robert Jenrick MP announced on 31 August 2020.

The government has put forward proposals designed to crack down on rogue car parking firms that will form part of a new Parking Code of Practice and Framework.

The proposals include, a maximum cap for parking fines, a 10-minute grace period before a late fine can be issued and a requirement for parking firms to clearly display pricing and terms and conditions.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you for any advice you give this a worry to me. Trevor.

I appreciate that.

The only issue to be concerned about is the photographic evidence with the time.

Mind you, you have the evidence of the amount you paid and the fact that the ticket doesn't give is suspect.

I feel you would have a good chance to challenge them.