How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SolicitorRM Your Own Question
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 5600
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
Type Your Law Question Here...
SolicitorRM is online now

I am looking for a lawyer who can help me escalate my

This answer was rated:

I am looking for a lawyer who can help me escalate my complaint about my domestic energy company
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have been trying to sort out a refund of over £40000 on my account since April. They will not sort out the refund but now want me to pay even though i am in so much credit. I have had the complaints department involved, but they are not helping either.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: It is not a straight forward issue. I opened an account with Scottish Power back in June 2016. They provide me with Gas and Electricity for six properties. They put all six properties onto one account and I think this is the root of the problem. They have now managed to sperate all accounts but have failed to take into account the very large amount of credit, £40,000 plus that is on the account in my name. I have emailed numerous times to the complaints department and they have not sorted anything regarding the refund. All they keep doing is ask for the debt on each of the accounts to be paid, even though I am in credit. I have suggested may times to refund me then I will pay or take the money from my credit but they cannot seem to do this so I am now in the collection process and they are asking for more money!

Good afternoon, welcome to just answer.

I am a solicitor and reviewing your question now for you.

Please note that although I can guide you, just answer doesn’t provide legal representation, therefore no solicitor/client relationship is formed.

Thank you for your patience, if your account is in credit because you have overpaid not because of tokens or reward points that they have given you then they would be obliged to deduct any new bills from the credit. You should complain to the ombudsman service on line and they will investigate for you. You will not need to pay a lawyer to do that for you, we charge fees that you can avoid if your case if a straightforward case of a utility provider refusing to refund an overpayment and they have not said there is no credit balance.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I would like to contact a lawyer who can progress my complaint with scottish Power

Amy follow up please don’t hesitate to send your message, I am glad to clarify anything. Thank you for contacting just answer.

We do not represent however can guide you through the steps if you get stuck either on the ombudsman complaint process or with the litigation process if you decide to take them to court.

SolicitorRM and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you

I have just been notified of your call acceptance. Are you ok for me to call in 30mins. You will also have been notified of the call cost.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I am okay for you to call in 30 minutes.

Good evening, I am only getting back online now as I was in Court all afternoon and finished about 15 mins ago. Let me know an alternative time.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
You can call anytime after 9 am tomorrow please.

No problem at all I will call back in the morning, I will set that up now fit a prompt in the morning.

Thank you for taking the call.
The most straightforward route is what your husband has suggested to you, hoping they will do what they are legally obliged to do when an account is closed and it is in credit. They will be legally obliged to refund the surplus within 14 days.
If they still refuse after closing your account, feel free to log a new enquiry FAO Solicitor RM and an offer for drafting will be made to you ( not the call offer), upon acceptance I would assist you with drafting the letter of claim to take them to court.
please do not hesitate to send your follow up message if you have any, otherwise all the very best.