Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

Is it discrimination if a client refuses to work with a

Is it discrimination if a client refuses to work with a professional because the professional experienced domestic abuse 15 years ago ?
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Manchester
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: The woman is client who is experiencing domestic abuse is also a perpetrator of abuse has complained in a child protection meeting that she no longer wishes to work with me . I want to know my rights because I feel this woman is discriminating me on these grounds . She complained about her last health visitor too . Basically she wants no professionals involved . Which cannot happen because 5 children on child protection plan
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Ok 👍 . This woman is highly manipulative and the dad is a high risk perpetrator of abuse . I just wished I had visited with another colleague so that I didn’t feel so professionally vulnerable now

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Please clarify the grounds on which the client is refusing to work with you?

Hello, I was wondering if you have had a chance to consider my query above please? I will need your response before I provide an accurate answer to your situation. Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
The client is refusing to work with me because I told her I was a survivor of domestic abuse . I told her this to help form a working relationship as she is a victim of domestic abuse and at times she is also a perpetrator of abuse . Those facts have come from police reports at a child protection meeting .

Thank you very much for clarifying. Discrimination in law only occurs if someone is treated detrimentally due to a protected characteristic. The Equality Act 2010 lists several protected characteristics, which are protected from such detrimental treatment. Therefore, if someone is using any of these protected characteristics to treat someone detrimentally, that will likely amount to unlawful discrimination. They are:

- age

- disability

- gender reassignment

- marriage and civil partnership

- pregnancy and maternity

- race

- religion or belief

- sex

- sexual orientation

However, I cannot see how the situation here would amount to discrimination, as it does not fall within any of the above categories. One could argue that it may be gender discrimination because most victims of domestic abuse are female, but in reality, this is not going to be related to gender and it will be a rather difficult argument to pursue.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Hello, I trust that everything has now been resolved to your satisfaction and your original question has been dealt with. If you have any further queries about it, please do not hesitate to get back to me on here. In the meantime, I wish you all the best.