How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ed Turner Your Own Question
Ed Turner
Ed Turner,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1910
Experience:  Director and Consultant Solicitor (Self-Employed) at Ed Turner LLB Limited
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ed Turner is online now

If I pay for a gas meter but don't have gas as its condemned

Customer Question

If I pay for a gas meter but don't have gas as its condemned as there is a major leak do national grid have the obligation to fix it for free thank you .
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Wallasey
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have rang my supplier they said to ring national grid I rang them and they said I'd have to pay for any repairs
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: That's all for now thank you
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ed Turner replied 14 days ago.

Hello.   I am Ed, a Solicitor qualified in England & Wales with over a decade’s experience in the legal profession advising clients.

I specialise in Commercial Contracts, Business Transactions, Employment, Dispute Resolution, Personal Injury and Road Traffic Law and shall be reviewing your legal problem today.

Regarding the site’s automatic offer of a Premium Service Phone Call, I shall be delighted to talk with you by phone to discuss your issue in greater detail if you accept the offer.

However, if you do not want a phone call, please cancel the offer for a Premium Service Phone Call and you will not be charged extra.

Expert:  Ed Turner replied 14 days ago.

To enable me to answer your query, please provide me with some further information about your legal issue.

Who installed the faulty gas meter?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
It was British gas when I bought the property, but I changed to Scottish Power and it was capped even then I didn't know it had been capped till I got a gas nan in to uncap it and that's when I was told it had a sever leak
Expert:  Ed Turner replied 14 days ago.

How old was the item?

How much have they said that it will cost to replace?

Expert:  Ed Turner replied 13 days ago.

I note that you have not replied to my request for further information.   I shall therefore post a “general answer” to your type of legal issue.    Please revert to me if I am mistaken as to your type of legal issue or if my answer does not fit the facts of your situation and I shall be delighted to amend my answer accordingly.

Expert:  Ed Turner replied 13 days ago.

You have a claim in breach of contract and breach of the sale and supply of goods and services legislation against the supplier ad/or installer of the faulty item.   The Defendant was under a duty in contract law and statute to provide you with a product and service that was fit for purpose, of reasonably satisfactory quality and matched the description at the point of sale.   Your damages will be a refund on the purchase price, plus additional costs of rectifying their defective work through another supplier.

You should send a letter of claim to them.  There are plenty of free templates online and the consumer protection advice magazine/website “Which?” has a useful template which you can adapt to your claim:

If they do not reply with their reasons for disputing the claim within 21 days, you should issue court proceedings via the Government’s Small Claims Track Online System:  The issue fee depends on the total damages being claimed.   If you issue online, the court issue fee ranges from between £35.00 for a claim worth up to £300.00 damages, up to £455.00 for a claim worth between £5,000.00 and £10,000.00 damages.   The Small Claims Court Online Portal will advise you on the fee when you come to issue your claim, but you may check the Government’s Court Fee advice booklet EX50 at PDF page 5/21 accessible at the following link:

A party cannot normally recover solicitors’ costs on the Small Claims Track.   However, it is designed for non-lawyers (known as “Litigants In Person”).  The trials are relatively informal, and the judges do not expect parties to have the same legal knowledge as experienced solicitors and barristers.

Expert:  Ed Turner replied 13 days ago.

I hope this resolves your enquiry.   Please revert to me if you require any clarification of my answer to your question and I shall be delighted to assist.

Kind regards